What To Do If Your Dog Eats Poison

While people are quite used to having a bout or two with food poisoning, not very many people think about what to do if their dog is poisoned. Just as a baby, toddler or child can get ingest something poisonous, so can a dog. If your dog does this, it will be up to you to save his life.

The most major cause of poison to a dog is chocolate. It is not an “old wives tale” that chocolate is a poison to a dog. However, a dog would need to eat a huge amount of chocolate to be affected. In any case, you would bring your dog to the vet if he or she ate chocolate.

There are other elements that can actually kill your dog and kill him quickly. You must be able to react quickly. While it might sound strange that a dog would even go near rat or mouse poison, some curious dogs will do this. The affect is horrible. If you do not get your dog to the vet ASAP, he may die. Symptoms of this type of poisoning is bleeding. The dog will bleed from all orifices: the mouth, nose, anus and even eyes. If not treated, your dog will bleed to death.

Plants can be poisonous and a curious dog may decide to chew on the leaves. It is a good idea to keep all plants out of reach of your dog and if you do see that your dog ate some leaves, bring the plant and your dog to the vet right away.

Anything that is a poison to you is a poison to your dog. Therefore, detergent, soap, cleaners, bleach, shampoo, etc can all possibly kill your dog. If your dog actually ingests anything of this sort, you must read the bottle and do the same action that is recommended if a person was poisoned. The dog may need to be made to vomit. You can save your dog’s life by sticking your fingers down his throat to make him gag and throw up. You can also use a toothbrush. Whether or not you can make him vomit, if recommended, you must bring him to the vet as fast as possible.

To prevent this, place anything that can be a poison high on shelves where your dog can not reach it. You may not think this type of event can happen, but it can and it does. Make your home safe for your best friend.