The two most important factors that are instrumental in passing stools are peristalsis and the consistency of stools. The pelvic floor muscles should also function normally for an easy passage of stools. These muscles support the rectum and are supposed to relax while the stools are excreted. The abdominal muscles contract at that time to push out the stools.
However, when there is a disorder, the pelvic floor muscles contract instead of relaxing. This may lead to constipation. This is because while passing stools the individuals attempt to push against a firm pelvic floor muscles wall.
Constipation may occur as a mild or severe gastrointestinal disorder in some cases and the symptom of an undiagnosed problem in others.
There are a broad range of disorders in which constipation may occur as a symptom. These include hypothyroidism, diabetic neuropathy, irritable bowel syndrome, colon cancer etc.
Constipation occurs in people of all ages groups.
Let us discuss what causes constipation in adults. The problems that lead to a congested bowel in adults are as follows:
1. Lack of enough dietary fiber
3. Sedentary lifestyle
4. Reckless use of laxatives
5. Not attending the nature’s call
8. Intestinal dysfunctions
9. Irritable bowel syndrome
10. Problems with colon
11. Pelvic floor dysfunctions
Now let us move on to what causes constipation problem in pregnant women.
Most of the pregnant women have a problem in passing stool. The reasons are as follows:
1. Weakened pelvic floor muscles
2. Secretion of pregnancy hormone that slows down the intestinal muscles.
3. The prenatal vitamins pregnant women take may affect their bowel movement.
5. The developing uterus exerts pressure on the colon.
The reason of constipation in menopausal women is the slowing down of their gastrointestinal tract.
What causes constipation in kids is as follows:
1. When the kids are given solid foods for the first time their digestive system takes some time in digesting the new nutrients. This may cause constipation temporarily.
2. A switch in formula milk can also cause bowel problem in kids.
3. A high intake of sugar is another reason of constipation in kids.
4. If a kid spends a long time in the bed due to some illness then he is bound to get constipation.
5. Some kids have a habit of ignoring the need to pass stools either due to their playfulness or due to stressful bowel training.
6. Kids who have a chronic lead exposure may get constipation.
As we are aware of the causes of constipation in all age groups we can take adequate steps in preventing the problem. A timely treatment is imperative because any delay can lead to several complications. When hard stools are passed via the anus, the lining of the anal sphincter muscles gets cracked. This condition is known as anal fissures. Besides hemorrhoids, fecal impaction, bloating and prolapse are some other complications that may arise if constipation is not cured promptly.