Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM in short) is an essential mineral found in the human body, which is important for many health reasons.
Never heard of it? Well, you may not know of MSM, but you must surely have heard of Sulfur. Whatever you choose to call it; by the name of sulfur or its organic compound MSM, it is one and the same thing.
Although not much research has been done into the medicinal uses for sulfur, especially in humans, there are many preliminary findings that show sulfur to be a very essential mineral for human health.
And if one were to believe what people who take sulfur regularly have to say, it surely is a wonder nutrient. Let’s take a look at some of the uses for sulfur.
Beneficial Uses for Sulfur
1. Sulfur for Prevention of Cancer: As mentioned previously, not a lot of research has been done for health uses of sulfur in humans.
Having said that, there have been many studies done on animals, which have proved beyond any shadow of doubt that sulfur is beneficial in delaying the onset of cancer.
It may not completely prevent cancerous tumors, but it does seem to slow the growth of these tumors significantly.
If further studies do show that the uses for sulfur are equally good in humans, you can bet that a whole lot of sulfur products will flood the markets.
2. Eases Symptoms of Arthritis: Sulfur, in the form of MSM, is very useful in treating both forms of arthritis: Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Sulfur prevents the wearing down of cartilages and is thus helpful for those suffering from the above conditions. Sulfur is also believed to have an anti-inflammatory effect and also analgesic properties.
Because of these properties, sulfur helps to ease the pain felt in arthritis.
3. Decreases Chances of Allergic Reactions: Sulfur, as MSM, is a mineral that naturally guards against the allergic actions of compounds known as histamines.
Histamines attack the membranes of your eyes, throat, and nose, thus causing inflammation, irritation, and other allergic symptoms. To control such allergies, people usually resort to taking anti-histamines.
But as sulfur has natural anti-histamine properties, it can be very beneficial in reducing allergic reactions.
4. Sulfur for your Skin: Sulfur increases the elasticity of your skin, and also of the tissues surrounding it. Because of this action of sulfur, it is very useful in preventing stretch marks.
Sulfur is also found to be helpful in healing surface wounds and reducing scars.
Thus, considering the above uses for sulfur, it is indeed an essential mineral for the human body.
Enhancing the Uses for Sulfur
Here are some guidelines for taking sulfur supplements, which will enhance its benefits.
1) In some people, sulfur (as MSM) may increase the energy levels, as a result of which they might have difficulty sleeping.
If you find that sulfur does the same for you, do not take your sulfur supplements at night.
2) Sulfur should always be taken with your food (or immediately after) so as to prevent any stomach or gastrointestinal trouble.
How To Choose A Sulfur Supplement
When buying any sulfur supplement, make sure that it contains sulfur in the form of MSM, which is a sulfur compound that has all the above mentioned benefits.
In order to ensure that you are getting the safest and highest quality of sulfur supplement, buy only those supplements that are made according to the pharmaceutical GMP standards.
Many supplements contain harmful additives and fillers such as gluten, sand (silica), sugar etc. Avoid buying any sulfur supplement that contains too many of such harmful fillers.
More and more men and women are using natural multivitamins with sulfur to not only ensure that their body gets sulfur, but other vitamins, minerals, trace elements and nutrients as well. It is a cost-effective way to keep your body healthy.