You might find people who snore funny, but you just will not feel the same way when the person you sleep with snores into your ear every night. It in fact will annoy you. This is the driving force behind curing snoring.
The following are some methods to control or if possible cure snoring:
1. Respiratory Exercises: Snoring is mainly caused by blocks in the breathing passage like the nose and throat due to nose blockades, wrong position jaws or an over-strained throat. To resume normal breathing, take many deep breaths to relax the muscles of your throat
2. Decongestants: Nasal congestion can also cause snoring. Since the nose is blocked, the person may try to breathe through the mouth leading to snoring. To clear these blockades, take decongestants.
3. Anti-allergy medications: Enlargement of adenoids may have been caused by allergy to some drug previously prescribed. Once a person gets over the allergy, snoring stops.
4. Healthy diet and exercise: Most obese people snore. This is not just a coincidence. The concentration of fat in the air passage, limits air from flowing freely in and out. The proper functioning of the diaphragm is also hindered by fat accumulation in the stomach resulting in snoring. 4 in 10 obese people are known to snore. Good exercise and a healthy diet will not alone help them over snoring, but will also benefit them in numerous ways.
5. Change your bed position: Sleeping in the wrong position may also induce snoring. For example, you may stretch your neck too much by using too many pillows. Using a single pillow can avoid this. Lying on your back may also cause snoring.
6. Lifestyle change: Intake of alcohol and snoring may directly or indirectly inducing snoring. For example, certain medical complications caused by drinking may have caused snoring. To maintain good health, it is there before advisable to quit alcohol and smoking. This also improves all-round health and mental peace.
7. Medication: Sleeping pills, antihistamines, certain other medicines can cause an increase in snoring.
8. Sleep Pattern: Basically, there are two periods of sleep, the REM sleep and stage 1 sleep. A person dreams constantly in REM sleep and experiences deep sleep often. Stage1 sleep will be experienced while sleeping or if a person sleeps poorly. Both these can lead to unstable breathing which in turn causes snoring. If you do not sleep at around the same time everyday, the irregularity may cause instability in respiration and that cause unstable breathing when you sleep.
9. Salt water nasal drops: Congestion in the nose may be caused by mucus and this can both spoil your sleep and also cause snoring. If you want to avoid this, purchase a small bottle of salt water nasal drops at any drugstore in your neighborhood. These help flush down the mucus. If you are not willing to buy a bottle, these nasal drops can be made right at home by dissolving a teaspoon of salt in roughly 250 ml of water. Once this water cools to the natural temperature of the body, put a dripper in it and use it.
If any other serious condition like sleep apnea or enlargement of tonsils and / or adenoids, surgical procedures such as Laser Assisted Uvula Palatopathy commonly abbreviated as LAUP and somnoplasty or radio frequency tissue ablation can be undertaken. This is more than sufficient proof that the root cause of snoring must be determined prior to taking action.