Treating a Poisoned Dog in an Emergency

Like children, dogs may accidentally eat, inhale or absorb toxic substances.  There is seldom anything scarier than this but there is no need to panic.  You will be able to find most things you need around the house although it is important to have some specific items available for emergency home treatment.  Below there are some tips and emergency treatments that you can carry out if you think your dog has been poisoned.

Ingested Toxins

If you suspect your dog has eaten something toxic, try to establish what it was and then call your veterinarian or the nearest emergency treatment center where there is usually information available about different types of poisons. Caustic poisoning causes burning, and in some cases tissue damage, so if you think the dog has swallowed something caustic don’t give him anything to eat, as you may cause further injury.  Take the dog to the veterinarian as quickly as possible in this circumstance, do not attempt to make the dog vomit and don’t allow the dog to eat or drink without seeking advice from your veterinarian.

It is more than likely that your veterinarian will suggest administering a mixture of water and vinegar or diluted lemon which will help to counteract the chemical before you are able to take the dog to the veterinarians clinic or hospital.  Do not administer any human drugs or treatments to your dog as these can cause serious adverse reactions. If you know what your dog has ingested remember to take the label of the product, if possible, to the veterinarian with your dog.

A non-caustic toxin is best treated by giving the dog an oral dose of hydrogen peroxide which will make him vomit and help to clear the poison from his body.  1 teaspoon (5mls) of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds body weight is the correct dosage.  Do not exceed the recommended strength or the dose because hydrogen peroxide can cause other problems.  If you have a syringe, administer the dose far back in the mouth and over the tongue. Â  A turkey baste can be used as an alternative if you haven’t got a syringe. Normally, within a few minutes your dog will vomit. If your dog is having respiration problems, difficulty with swallowing, not able to stand or comatose forget the hydrogen peroxide treatment unless your vet advises you otherwise.  When the dog has vomited take him to the vet as quickly as possible.

Contact Toxins

If your dog has brushed against, trodden on or touched something poisonous you should wash the area thoroughly with warm water and a dog or baby shampoo.  If he gets varnish, tar or paint on his coat spread lots of Vaseline over the affected area to eliminate as much of the product as you can.  Cutting or shaving the fur may be necessary to entirely remove stubborn substances if the Vaseline doesn’t work.

However, if you feel that your pet is still having a side effect or problems due to the poisonous substance, it is bets to take your pet to your vet for a complete check up.