Hair growth is dependent on the quality of our nutrition. Our bloodstream nourishes hair follicles, so the quality of the nutrients in our blood affects the quality of our hair. What are the best foods to create healthy, luscious hair?
1. Salmon and fatty fish-Think of the fish oils and omegas in these guys as an internal conditioner. Not only is it excellent for your brain and your blood vessels, it produces stunning results for your skin and hair. Eat salmon or fatty fish at least twice a week in order to reap the benefits.
2. Lean beef-As much as beef gets a bad reputation as an artery clogger and fat distributor, your body needs protein in order to produce quality hair. Lean beef is a great way to give your body the protein it needs. Indulge your inner carnivore once or twice a week.
3. Dried beans-Dried beans are one of nature’s miracles, believe it or not! Not only do they count as a vegetable AND a protein, they fill you up with fiber and are packed full of minerals. In my opinion, eat as many beans as possible and you will lose weight, look incredible, and feel fantastic. Beans can be added to salads, casseroles, and side dishes or made into patties and used in place of hamburgers. Beans can also be pureed into dips and spreads. This low-fat, low-calorie source of vegetarian protein is also an excellent source of iron, which is necessary in preventing hair loss. As an added enticement, they’re ridiculously cheap-awesome for any budget.
4. Eggs-“The incredible edible egg” as the ads say. Once again, this is a source of protein, but eggs are also rich in B vitamins, which promote healthy skin and muscles. Cell growth is also dependent on B vitamins.
5. Nuts and unprocessed grains-These are another excellent way to add fiber (great for weight loss, digestion, and peak immune system function) and increase your general health. Specifically for hair growth, nuts provide protein, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats that we need to look our best.
I’m often amazed and dismayed at the amount of money spent on products that are meant to improve our hair from the outside. How many of them work? Hair care is a billion dollar industry, and you won’t know you’ve lost your money on a hair treatment until it’s too late. Improving your body from the inside is the best possible method for improving the appearance of your hair, and it’s likely that hair won’t be the only part of your body that improves!