Tonsils are known as part of immunity system present in mouth. However, there are certain conditions, which may lead to damage and infection to them. The state of inflammation of tonsils is known as tonsillitis. The person suffering from tonsillitis often experiences sore throat, difficulty in swallowing, pain in ear, weakness and enlargement of lymph glands.
Before you consult a doctor for the treatment, it is advised to try some home treatments capable of treating this undesirable disorder.
- Salt and Water – It is the most common home remedy for tonsillitis to gargle with salt added to warm water.
- Vegetable juices – The juices of vegetables like carrot, cucumber and beet is indeed the most effective home based remedy for treating tonsillitis. You may consume these juices separately or as a mixture.
- Mustard – It is often suggested to rinse your throat with solution prepared by mixing powdered mustard in hot water. This helps in cleaning the germs causing this problem from the throat.
- Lemon and honey – The mixture of lime juice with honey prepared in hot water is another great remedy for relieving throat from pain and infection. You may also add a pinch of salt in the mixture.
- Fenugreek seeds – The fenugreek seeds should be allowed to boil with water and the resulting mixture must be used as a gargle to get relief from this problem. However, you must allow the mixture to cool down before using it.
- Milk – The pure boiled milk is another recommended home remedy for treating tonsil infections. It is also advised to add turmeric powder and pepper powder in the milk before consuming it.
- Banafsha Flowers – You may boil 12g of banafsha flowers with milk and filter it out after boiling. The filtered milk must be drunk hot to relieve throat from tonsil infections. Also, you may use the flower extracts filtered out in above process and massage them gently around throat before going to bed.
- Turmeric – Because of anti-bacterial anti-viral properties exhibited by turmeric, it is advised to prepare a paste of turmeric roots in hot water and apply it externally around the throat.
- Dried Figs – Dried and boiled figs are quite effective in decreasing the pain and harshness caused due to tonsillitis. You must mash these figs and consume them with a spoon of honey.
- Onion and Ginger – Onion juice and ginger juice are considered as best home remedies for various problems and tonsillitis is one of them. You may use these juices for gargling and reducing the pain in throat.
It is necessary to follow a perfect diet plan to get relieved from tonsillitis. You must consume fresh fruits and vegetables to benefit your throat against this problem. Also, products like yoghurt, tea prepared from Echinacea, Goldenseal, nuts and grains.
You must avoid alcohol, smoking, spices, condiments, fried foods and carbonated drinks in case of tonsillitis.