One of the most important functions of the liver is liver detox or liver cleansing. Liver Detoxification or simply liver detox is the biochemical process where the liver eliminates harmful toxins that the body acquires from unhealthy foods, drugs, pollution, alcoholism, smoking and diseases. According to statistics, 50% of people over 50 years old have liver problems manifested by physical and mental disabilities. More than ever, Liver Detox is very important these days when unhealthy habits are steady part of life. Some herbs and nutrients are made available as supplements to achieve effective liver detox.
1. Milk Thistle Supplements. Milk thistle is the number one liver detox herb because it contains a liver protective compound called silymarin. Milk thistle supplements work in two ways: assisting the liver to get rid of toxins and by increasing glutathione levels.
2. Ashwagandha Supplements. Chinese Traditional Medicine suggests that ashwagandha has rejuvenating effects to the liver. Ashwagandha supplements are also suggested as both a liver and kidney tonic.
3. Dandelion Supplements. Dandelion for the liver works by absorbing and transporting toxins from the bowel, decreasing work load from the liver. Additionally, this herb has blood purifying properties.
4. Artichoke Supplements. Artichoke supplements contain cynarin, an active ingredient that works by stimulating regeneration of liver cells and other important liver functions. The artichoke herb is useful in the prevention and treatment of liver cirrhosis and jaundice.
5. Turmeric Supplements. The turmeric herb assists in liver detox by increasing levels of two liver enzymes namely glutathione-S-transferase and UDP glucuronyl transferase. Apart from turmeric supplements, this herb is also being used as an ingredient of systematic liver cleansing programs.
6. N-Acetyl Cysteine supplements. N-Acetyl cysteine is a derivative of the amino acid cysteine. NAC works by increasing production of glutathione, a premier antioxidant involved in effective detoxification.
7. Yellow Dock supplements. Yellow dock root is a Natural Liver Cleanser. It prevents harmful toxins from getting into the liver by stimulating bowel movement shortly after ingestion.
8. Glutathione supplements. Glutathione is one of the most famous for its effectiveness among liver detox products. It is a very important compound used by the liver to eliminate hepato-toxic substances for total liver health. More than liver support, glutathione exhibit potent antioxidant protection against free-radical induced health problems.
9. Boldo Leaf Supplements. Boldo leaf extract were used by the natives of Chile and Peru as liver tonic. This herb contains alkaloids and flavonoids that stimulate the flow of bile from the liver into the duodenum. Bile is the fluid produced by the liver containing filtered waste products.
10. L-Methionine supplements. L-methionine is a derivative of the amino acid methionine which acts as precursor to glutathione. Use of L-methionine supplements offer protection from fatty liver disease. Excessive fat build-up in the liver hinders it from doing its liver detox functions.
Log on http://www.tasmanhealth.co.nz/ for more details.