Tonsilloliths, or also often known as tonsil stones, are nasty whitish or yellowish colored, foul smelling bumps on your tonsils. They are caused by the accumulation of sulfur producing bacteria, food particles, post nasal drip, overactive salivary glands, mucous and other mouth debris that build up and lodge near the throat. There are some people that confuse this problem with tonsillitis.
Tonsillitis is an infection of the tonsils that can either be caused by a bacterial or by a viral infection. A tonsillitis caused by a bacterial infection can be treated with the use of antibiotics. Penicillin is one of the most common prescribed antibiotics. A viral infection takes time to go away and does not receive treatment. However, there are some natural remedies that can ease the pain and inflammation. One example is drinking boiled milk added with turmeric and powdered pepper or you can also try lime juice in warm water.
Tonsilloliths can be treated in the comfort of your own home. Gargle with saltwater every morning and every after meal, use an antibacterial non alcohol based mouthwash, rinse your mouth with water after eating and drinking, and brush your teeth and scrape your tongue regularly. These nasty chunks are not contagious and can not be transferred to another person even when kissing or coughing them up. However, it is possible that you pass the bacteria that might settle on another person.
Paying a regular visit to a dentist, practicing good oral hygiene and doing your own self diagnosis are the best things you can ever do to terminate tonsilloliths and prevent them from coming back.