When you are infected with nail fungus, there are certain things that you have to consider before you get a treatment. This is because some treatments may not be applicable to your health condition, and some do not fit your budget. With the latest technology, podiatrist introduced toenail fungus laser treatment. They say that this is the most convenient way of eliminating fungal activities.
How does it work?
- This treatment uses a beam of light that will be focused on the affected area. It kills the fungus as the concentration of light is heightened.
- There is no need to remove the nail plate from the nail bed in this procedure. The nail plate stays on its place and just lets the laser vaporize the fungus.
This kind of treatment is said to be the fastest and safest way of dealing with toenail fungus. It just takes less than an hour and you can go home fungus-free. Most people also use this treatment to get rid of side effects from orally-taken treatments.
Orally-taken treatments used to be the fastest and most effective way of getting rid of onychomycosis. However, the dosage of this treatment is really high. Users should have a monthly blood analysis to see if their body is still responding well with the treatment. If not, this means that some organs are affected negatively, especially the liver.
Below are the negative sides of laser treatment:
- You will need around 2-3 sessions to make sure that there will be no recurrence of toenail fungus symptoms. Though there is no guarantee that it won’t happen again.
- It has been reported that if you just have 1 session, there is a high percentage of nail fungus reoccurrence in less than 5 years.
- Each session ranges from $800 to $1000 depending on the severity of the infection.
- This method is new. Thus, it still lacks tests that are needed to verify if there are really no side effects.
There was a controversy in the process of getting approval from Food and Drugs Administration. One manufacturer of the laser machine released to the press that they already had the approval though it was not given them yet. This made the FDA stricter regarding their proposal.
It was just recently that FDA finally approved laser treatment to be safe. Among other toenail fungus treatments, this method is the most expensive one, but safest to use. This is also recommended for those who are having diabetes.