Gastritis is not a disease on its own but a symptom of abnormal digestion. It is characterized by inflammation or irritation of the lining of the stomach. It affects millions of people worldwide. It can be divided into 3 categories: (1) erosive and hemorrhagic gastritis (2) non erosive and nonspecific gastritis (3) specific gastritis indicative of a disorder.
Gastritis can be due to a number of causes including excessive alcohol consumption, prolonged use of non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, also known as NSAIDs, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, or bacterial infection. Commonly, the bacterium that causes the inflammation of gastritis is the same as that which causes most stomach ulcers. Sometimes gastritis can develop after major surgery, burns, traumatic injury.
Symptoms of gastritis include abdominal discomfort, pain, bloating or gas, irritation, headache, general malaise, nausea and sometimes vomiting. Aside the use of medications, there are ways to combat gastritis by selective food inclusions or eliminations.
Positive actions to overcome gastritis include the following:
1. Limit or where possible eliminate your intake of simple sugar (sweet, fruit, and milk), flour, caffeine, alcohol, fatty foods, spicy foods and tomato products. These foods irritate the stomach lining, increase the production of stomach acid and weaken the sphincter at the end of the esophagus causing the extra acid to move up the esophagus.
2. Coconut water is an excellent remedy for gastritis. It gives the stomach the necessary rest and provides vitamins and minerals.
3. Eating a light or soft diet provides a lot of assistance. Cessation of smoking and relaxation therapy can also help. Eating a diet high in fiber may not only cut your risk of developing gastritis and ulcers in half, but fiber-rich foods may also speed the healing of ulcers. Vegetables are particularly protective sources of fiber and seem to reduce the amount of inflammation in the lining of the stomach.
4. Take a long term daily dose of Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000 mg to reduce and subsequently eliminate inflammation.
5. A daily dose of a multi vitamins and minerals tablet to assist in digestive health.