When you wake up with that familiar tingle on the lip, you know you are in for a ten to fourteen days of an eye sore on your lip. Let’s try to analyze some of the triggers for cold sores and gain control over this herpes problem. By knowing what the conditions are that help create the cold sore blisters we have some mastery over the problem.
1) Sunlight and UV lighting can trigger cold sores so be careful when you are out in the sun or using a sun lamp or tanning bed. Be sure to use spf lotion on your lips. The sun is what started my initial cold sore on my lip years ago. The skin there is very thin and vulnerable.
2) Study your argine intake. Argine is an amino acid that is in protein powders and supplements, chocolate, peanut based products and other nuts. When this is out of proportion with the other amino acids, a cold sore can arise. Take a lysine supplement to help with this issue but it is wise to try to avoid argine rich foods. The body cannot make lysine so it needs to be attained via foods and supplements.
3) For women, the menstrual cycle can be something that changes the estrogen levels and this in turn can trigger a cold sore. Keep a journal to see if this is happening to you and what time of the month you seem to get a cold sore. Other changes such as perimenopause, pregnancy and menopause will also alter your hormones.
4) Physical fatigue and exhausting schedules can lower one’s immune system and lead to a fever blister forming. Try to eat well and get a good night’s sleep. Find ways to manage stress intelligently including tai chi, yoga, meditation, massage and listening to music.
5) Don’t schedule involved dental work during an important time for social or business meetings. I have gotten cold sores when my mouth was worked on and this seems to be due to the skin being stretched and stressed by the process. I found it helpful to use moisturizer on the lip and tell my dentist I need breaks to rest my mouth.
By being aware of the triggers and taking lysine, you can assist yourself in reducing significantly the severity and number of cold sore outbreaks you get. Daily, use a system of good supplements and rest to keep your immune system strong.