So you have decided to you want to consider preconception gender selection?
Despite the reason, the decision has been weighed, now it is time to consider the cost associated with the various procedures available for baby gender selection. This may or may not be the deciding factor in choosing gender selection conception. Prices vary, as does the convenience, spontaneity and medical procedures.
For the sake of simplicity, I have broke the procedures into three categories: Medical Gender Selection, Private Clinics, and Natural Selection.
Medical Gender Selection
- The Gradient Method–This is a medical gender selection that sorts sperm using a centrifuge to spin sperm at high speed. The process sorts the heavier Y-Sperm (male) from the lighter X-Sperm (female). The sperm of a specific gender is then selected transferred into the woman via intrauterine insemination, otherwise known as artificial insemination.The Gradient Method is relatively an inexpensive and easy compared to the other methods, priced at 600 -1600 hundred dollars. The likelihood of success is 50- 90% for a female and 50-70% for a male.
- MicroSort–Often called Flow Cytometry, MicroSort is also a sperm sorting procedure that uses a fluorescent dye to bind with the DNA material that is carried by the sperm. X- Sperm containing more DNA than Y-Sperm, absorb more dye. The sperm is then sorted and the procedures are complete by intrauterine insemination and/or in vitro fertilization.Priced at about $4000.00 a cycle. However, there are additional costs that could add up to $10,000 or more. MicroSort’s current technology does not completely exclude either female or male sperm cells from the enriched sample. This method of gender selection is still in trial stages, and a certain criteria must be met before couples can apply. If you are interested in learning more, MicroSort has an informative website at microsort.net.
- Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD)–Another complex procedure of gender selection conception, however highly effective compared to the other two preconception gender selection. The sperm and the ovum are retrieved from both the parents. and fertilization is completed in vitro. After a couple of days of growth, a cell from each embryo is removed, and is analyzed for DNA to determine baby’s sex. The fertilized ovum is then artificial inseminated. PDG testing costs between $2,000.00 and $4,000.00 plus the costs of IVF procedures. It comes with a 99% success rate.
Private Clinic Gender Selection.
- Shettles–Developed by Dr. Landrum Shettles, this is a simple at home method. Shettles theory is based on the X-Sperm and the Y- Sperm having different characteristics., The method suggests that the smaller, faster, yet more fragile y sperm (male) are shorter lived, while the X sperm (female) are larger, slower, yet more robust. Based on this information, Shettles advises how to time intercourse to conceive a boy or a girl. The Shettles method is the world’s best known gender selection method, achieving fame in the million copy bestseller How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby. The cost of this method is basically free, excluding the price of his book.Dr. Landrum Shettles claims a 75% to 90% success rate for his simple, at-home method.
- Dr Jonas–Dr. Jonas method of gender selection conception maintains the assumption that that under certain circumstances the bio-chemical environment of the lining of the uterus is subject to certain periodic deviations, and that these in turn lead to separation of the X-Sperm and the Y-Sperm. The method teaches that there are some days in woman’s fertility cycle where she can conceive a boy only and days where only a girl can be conceived. From information given by the mother to be, a custom made calendar and an individual program is derived for a twelve month time frame. For conception to take place, intercourse must take place on pinpointed highly fertile days. The program is based in Australia, and consultation is done via the net, or phone. The cost is approximately $180.00 US. Success rate is claimed at high 98%.
- Ericsson–To use the Ericsson method, the father must provide a semen sample at a licensed Ericsson clinic. Timing is critical, the process must be done on the day of ovulation.The sample is processed for preconception gender selection by forcing the sperm to swim through a sticky protein liquid (albumin). Over a period of about 4 hours,the faster Y-Sperm will out swim the X-Sperm . The preferred sperm is separated and the mother is artificially inseminated. The cost of Ericsson is $600.00 to $1,200.00 per attempt.
Natural Gender Selection
- How to Pick your baby’s Gender–This is a program created by Rebecca Washburn, who literally took apart every preconception gender selection formula available and combined the very best & most proven elements of each system.She claims that during her research, the information she used is based on science, and if was not a real scientific reason for it to work, she tossed it out. As a result, she created an effective, reliable, and natural baby gender selection method that is simplified by a basic 3 step formula. Rebecca maintains that proper preparation + correct method + correct time will give a healthy 94.6 % success level. The cost of this gender selection program is an easy $47.00 with a 100% guarantee.
- How to Choose The Gender of Your Baby– Over 11,000 couples have used Ashely Spencers preconception gender selection program, How To Choose The Gender of Your Baby. Her program is somewhat similar to Rebecca Washburn, but with some differences. Ashley advocates timing, PH, minor diet adjustments, and specific sexual intercourse position. Originally Ashley conducted personal one on one consultation, but later wrote a book to fulfill the demand. She also maintains a near 95% success rate, with a 100% guarantee. The cost of this gender selection program is also $47.00.
When considering the cost of preconception gender selection , it is important to think of financial budgeting and whether the cost fits into your personal lifestyle. If you are not ready to undergo expensive fertility treatments, than natural gender selection conception may be a more feasible choice. The beauty of natural gender selection, is that it can be done at the comfort of your own home, and the fun and spontaneity is not removed.
Disclaimer: The above mentioned prices do not include the cost of artificial insemination, intrauterine implantation, or travel.