The Number One Cause of Heart Disease

Often times we tend to look at  heart   disease  as something that happens to other people. Even those who have had one or more coronary events are sometimes lulled into thinking that they will not experience another.

The problem with complacency, as it relates to  heart   disease , is that half of those who have a  heart  attack will die. This is one  disease  that must be taken seriously, and finding out the number one cause of  heart   disease  is a big part of any prevention plan.

As you may have suspected the number one cause of  heart   disease  is cholesterol which is a fat like substance found in the bloodstream as well as in all your body’s cells. The initial reaction for most would be to conclude that doing away with cholesterol through a combination of diet modification and medication would be a logical solution thus eliminating the number one cause of  heart   disease  and sending themselves on the way to living a long,  heart  healthy life, free from heart attack or stroke. But it isn’t quite that simple.

Cholesterol plays an essential role in body function. It is used for producing cell membranes, hormones, as well as other body functions. Eliminating it altogether would lead to muscle death and kidney failure. So eliminating it altogether is not an option. What we need to do is strike a healthy balance, maintaining enough cholesterol for good health, but not so much as to cause arterial plaque deposits.

Cholesterol comes from two sources: your body and food. Your liver and other cells produce 75 percent of blood cholesterol. The other 25 percent comes from foods we consume. Additionally, some people are genetically predisposed to naturally produce more cholesterol. For these individuals simply reducing dietary cholesterol consumption may not be enough to achieve heart healthy levels. For these individuals a prescription medication or natural cholesterol reduction supplement may be needed.

The type of cholesterol we will need to manage are low density lipoproteins (LDL). When too much is circulation in the blood it can accumulate in the arteries eventually blocking blood flow to the heart. This type of cholesterol can normally be managed through diet and lifestyle changes. Your doctor will be able to provide you with a LDL reducing plan suitable for your unique situation.

To avoid the number one cause of  heart   disease  it is important to take action now. One way many people are going about this is by implementing an all natural treatment approach consisting of a low saturated fat diet (10% of calories), walking 30 minutes a day, along with a natural cholesterol reduction supplement. By implementing an all natural plan you will be avoiding any potential side effects linked with prescription medications. This all natural approach is a good place to start to make sure the number one cause of  heart   disease  (cholesterol) doesn’t land you in the hospital or even worse.