Ashwagandha is an herbal supplement that revs up the production of oxygen-carrying red blood cells. It offers many potential benefits to your overall health. As always, check with your doctor before starting any new supplement.
- Improves energy. Ashwagandha, if taken daily, can reduce anxiety, irritability and edginess for 90% of women within four weeks. It can also double your energy level, according to studies conducted at Maine’s Swedish Herbal Institute. The active ingredient in ashwagandha can soothe the nervous system and nourish one’s energy-producing adrenal glands.
- Sharpens brain power. According to experts, ashwagandha can increase the production of dopamine, which is a brain chemical used to carry message between neurons. This results in improvement in memory, motivation and the ability to learn new things quickly.
- Stop arthritis pain. Ashwagandha contains natural steroids that dampen joint inflammation, even more effectively than hydrocortisone. This can help reduce or even stop arthritis pain.
- Reduce cholesterol. According to recent research, ashwagandha can lower “bad” LDL cholesterol levels by as much as 5%. This aids in keeping your arteries clear and your heart young. Ashwagandha protects and nourishes the liver and the liver plays an important role in controlling blood cholesterol levels.
- Reduce belly fat. Ashwagandha can reduce the levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol is instrumental in the body’s production of belly fat. If you take ashwagandha for a month, you could drop your levels of cortisol by as much as 26%.
- Reduce tension headaches. Research out of India has shown that ashwagandha can boost the brain’s production of neurotransmitters which are calming and pain-soothing, making it an effective antidote for headaches. The recommended dosage is 400 mg. daily.