1. Deep breaths – Simple breathing is one of the quickest and most effective ways to instantly treat anxiety . When you start to feel anxious take three slow, deep breaths; in your mouth, and out your nose and you should start to instantly feel relief from your anxiety . You can do this as many times as necessary, and can also close your eyes for increased relief.
2. Eliminate caffeine from your diet – Caffeine is a stimulant that increases your heart rate and makes you more anxious. By eliminating caffeine from your diet you will feel decreased levels of anxiety . If stopping entirely is too hard you can slowly decrease your caffeine consumption day to day until your feel decreased anxiety .
3. Daily exercise – Exercise is an extremely effective way to treat anxiety . Exercising at least 30 minutes a day will cause an increased flow of blood and oxygen to your brain which lower stress and anxiety . In addition, daily exercise will improve your self esteem which also decrease feelings of anxiety .
4. Keeping a journal – By keeping a daily journal of your life where you can write about all your frustrations and problems you are releasing much of the anxiety that can haunt you throughout the day. If you write it all down it can help give you perspective and help you understand the scope of these problems. If you let the problems just fester in your mind they can multiply and the problems become much bigger in your head than they really are. These exaggerated problems can cause unnecessary anxiety in your life. It is much better to get everything on paper so you don’t exaggerate any of the problems.
5. Enough Sleep – Sleep deprivation is one of the most common causes of anxiety . Recent evidence suggests that the most healthy amount of sleep per night is 6-8 hours. Always make sure to get a minimum of six hours of sleep per night to alleviate anxiety . Also too much sleep can lead to depression and increased anxiety . In addition to the right amount of sleep per night your body also functions the best with consistency. Make every effort to wake up at the same time every morning, and go to sleep at the same time every night. By getting the correct amount of consistent sleep every night your anxiety will start to decrease.
6. Talk – Talking to a close friend or family member that you trust completely about your problems and what’s troubling you can help put your mind at ease about the problems. Anxiety is caused by worrying, and if your mind is at ease about your problems then you will worry less and feel less anxiety in your life.
7. Positive Thinking – Changing your thought patterns from negative thinking to positive thinking is a very long and difficult process but the effects can be tremendous. You will start to feel better about yourself, and everything you’re doing. This will decrease anxiety and social anxiety because of how you feel about yourself. To change your thought patterns you must consciously correct yourself every time you catch yourself having a negative thought. Identify positive things you like about yourself and think three positive thoughts for every negative thought you catch yourself thinking. Over time you will begin to naturally think positively. This is a great habit to get into, and in addition to helping your anxiety problems it will benefit many other areas of your life as well.
8. Pets – Pets are proven to increase happiness and calmness, and decrease anxiety and blood pressure. Pets also make great outlets to talk to about your problems and help you deal with challenges in your life.
9. Get out in nature – The fast paced life style that the modern world requires causes undue anxiety for many people. By getting out in nature and learning to appreciate the world for what it is will help keep you grounded and living a peaceful life. You can also exercise at the same time by going hiking, backpacking, mountain climbing, rock climbing, or trail running.
10. Spend time with loved ones – Spending time with people you love and who love you will help you feel better about yourself and help alleviate anxiety in your life. Often times people feel that they are being constantly judged and this makes them anxious trying to live up to others expectations. By being around people who accept you unconditionally this anxiety will go away.