The environment in the US today promotes too much eating of unhealthy foods, and reduced physical activity. These fast foods are tasty and in come cases almost addictive. These factors have contributed to a society that is, in the majority, overweight. Simple changes in the kind of food we eat plus normal healthy physical activity such as walking can turn this tendency around quickly. The obesity statistics prove this point and are shocking.
Overweight and obesity both refer to a body weight that is greater than what is considered healthy for a certain height. They also mean a weight that may cause diseases or increase the possibility of certain diseased developing. Obesity statistics along with statistics on certain health problems bear this out. It is important to have the correct body mass index (BMI) for your height and age. It co-relates with the amount of body fat not necessarily the correct weight. There are formulas that will calculate this for you instantly.
The latest obesity statistics are:
- Eight out of ten people in the US over 25 years old are overweight,
- 58 million people are overweight,
- 40 million are obese and 3 million are morbidly obese,
- 78% of all the people in the US do not get the basic activity level recommendations,
- 25% are completely sedentary.
Obesity statistics also show increase in certain diseases among overweight and obese people:
- There has been a 76% increase in Type II diabetes, the type associated with obesity, in adults 30-40 years old since 1990,
- Heart disease is 70% related to obesity,
- Colon as well as breast cancer is found in 42% of obese people,
- 30% of surgery for gall bladder is related to obesity and 26% of people with high blood pressure.
Children obesity statistics is even scarier. In 1982 only 4% of children were overweight; in 2001 it is 25% of white children and 33% of African American and Hispanic children. The hospital costs solely related to childhood obesity went from $35 million in 1979 to $127 million in 1999. Also, there has been an enormous surge in type II diabetes associated with obesity in children. These statistics come from Wellness International Network Ltd.
These obesity statistics clearly show that most people in the US need to modify their diets and get more exercise in order to be healthier and have a longer life. There are many factors in the cause of obesity including genetics and environmental issues but a slow steady weight loss program would reduce the weight in the best way for keeping it off permanently. Two pounds a week is the maximum you should aim to lose, but it will be well worth it. You will enjoy gradually getting thinner until your clothes no longer fit and you get to go shopping for new ones. And that’s just the beginning, when you add exercise, you body will tone and you will simply look great!