Having a sprained wrist not only is painful but can become a real inconvenience also. We are so dependent on the use of our hands for our normal living, that an injury makes simple everyday tasks become a real chore.
With all the side effects of pharmaceuticals, alternative remedies that bring pain relief along with an increase in immune function is a bonus.
It is natural, when falling, to reach out to catch ourselves and in doing so, the wrist can be forced past the natural stretching limit of a tendon or ligament. The forced twist or torque of the ligament can cause an injury in the wrist resulting in mild to severe pain, swelling, bruising and possible loss of function. You may experience a tear in the wrist or perhaps a popping sound as you try moving it. These sprained wrist symptoms can begin with a simple slip on the stair, on an icy sidewalk or playing a sports game.
Although falls are the number one cause of a sprained wrist, it is possible to get a sprain from exerting intense pressure or by the wrist twisting in an abnormal position. There are three grades of severity when diagnosing sprained wrist symptoms.
- Grade # 1: Mild to moderate pain along with minor damage to the ligament.
- Grade # 2: Moderate to acute pain with a loose feeling in the joint, some loss of function and more severe ligament damage. Sprain should be checked by a doctor to be sure it will heal without extended trouble such as wrist tendonitis.
- Grade # 3: Acute Pain, total detached torn ligament with a severe loss of function. This type of sprain must be seen by a doctor and will require surgical repair.
Finding a sprained wrist treatment that is convenient and lessons the healing time really helps your life to get back to normal. Using essential oils is one natural remedy for beneficial relief. They are simple to use, do not take much space to carry and gives many more benefits to the recipient than just relieving an injured wrist.
Many of the pharmaceutical medicines you could use to treat a wrist injury will suppress or compromise your immune system, adding a risk to your health. But with true essential oils, they add to your health by sending the healing properties of the herbal plant they came from directly into your body. Any single essential oil has several healing qualities. For example, the geranium essential oils (rose geranium or geranium bourbon) have pain relieving properties and also healing and increase the function of your liver.
Essential oils follow the nerves, sending the healing qualities to the area that needs repair. This makes them ideal for use in the relief of:
- Muscle strains
- Bulging disc
- Ganglion cyst in wrist
- Wrist tendonitis
- Golfer's elbow
- Sprained ankle
- Back spasms
And … many pain related maladies. In fact, most likely, there is not an injury or illness that would not be benefited with the use of essential oils as an addition to the treatment already established.
Because essential oils transport through the body by the nervous system, they are very beneficial relief other nerve disorders such as carpal tunnel syndrome which often feels something like a sprain in the wrist.
OK, so here is the plan of action when you have sprained wrist symptoms:
- Immobilize the wrist. Use a cast or splint to keep the joint secure from movement.
- Rest your wrist. If you can, let your wrist rest for at least 2 days (48 hours)
- Put Ice packs on the wrist for twenty minutes every 4 hours during the 2 day period or until the pain has subsided some. This helps minimizeize swelling and bruising.
- Carefully massage pain relieving (analgesic), anti inflammatory essential oils such as Helichrysum Italicum, Elemi, Helichrysum Gemnosephalum and Geranium. Many other essential oils have analgesic anti-inflammatory properties, but these oils seem to add more instant relief when blended.
- Keep your wrist elevated above your heart. Lay it on a pillow or the back of the couch / chair as often as you can. This will help it to not swell as much.
- You may wish to take anti inflammatory pain reliever such as ibuprofen. However, taking this can thin the blood causing the sprained wrist to have more bruising.
- After pain has subsided some, practice strengthening exercises, carefully stretching the wrist to begin with as your doctor recommends. Do not rush this healing time. To use your wrist too soon after an injury could cause permanent damage to the joint.
Some sprains take up to 10 weeks recovery time. And, some people experience wrist tendonitis after a wrist injury. Everyone is different. Continue using the essential oils sprained wrist treatment that will help relieve infection that could still be in the joint.