Sore throat is a very irritating problem in which the throat is inflamed. This is generally caused due to colds and coughs. Sore throats can also be caused due to tonsillitis. Sore throat is usually caused by an inflammation of the tonsils, larynx or pharynx and can be painful and uncomfortable and it is one of the most common medical complaints and some of the most common causes of sore throat are:
Sinus drainage – if you have a sinus infection, you can develop a sore throat, especially in the morning.
Sore throat remedies:
1. At the first sign of an infection, gargle with hydrogen peroxide and water.
2. Take dietary supplements and many doctors recommend the papaya enzymes as a natural remedy as papaya is high in Vitamin C and a powerful antioxidant. They assist in stuffy sinuses, swollen throat and if your swollen tonsil is not clearing even with antibiotics, the papaya tablet can shrink the tonsil.
3. Drink plenty of water – warm drinks to assist the throat to heal and also iced drinks to ease the pain. In fact, it is best to drink both. Whatever sore throat remedies you are using, this is one remedy which you must have.
4. Make yourself an anise mint tea. as it is extremely good remedy. Take 1 teaspoon of dried anise mint for each cup of boiling water, steep for 10 minutes, strain and sweeten. You can drink it warm as as often as desired.
5. If you have an inflamed tonsils – place a handful of sage in 2 cups of water. Simmer for 15 minutes. Use a flannel cloth and dip in the liquid and place the sage leaves in the flannel and wrap around your throat. Use another flannel cloth and dip in the liquid and wrap this around your throat, this is to maintain the heat of the first flannel cloth, and repeat this second step when it becomes cold. While you are it, relax and make yourself an infusion of sage tea.
6. Suck throat lozenges to ease your pain and to keep your throat moist.
Natural Remedies for Sore Throat
Many natural ingredients and herbs are proven to reduce pain and inflammation, provide immediate or temporary relief, and help ease painful raw throat tissues.
– Herbal immune system enhancers such as echinacea and goldenseal or Oregon grape root are effective when you have a sore throat that is caused by a cold or flu. The wonder herb, garlic, can also prove helpful when battling illness, since it will ward off harmufl bacteria or viruses.
– Mucilaginous herbs can ease any sore throat. Slippery elm and marshmallow do help a lot. Gargling with astringent herbs will alleviate discomfort. Raspberry or blackberry leaves along with elder flowers are good for this purpose.
– Herbal Throat Lozenges. These herbal lozenges are simple, easy to make, and are effective in treating sore threats. In preparing these lozenges, mix 3 tablespoons powdered licorice, 3 tablespoons marshmallow or slippery elm, 3 tablespoons red raspberry leaves, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 10 drops scented geranium, sage, or rosemary, essential oil, honey and cornstarch.