Shatavari is the premier Ayurvedic herb recommended for women. Known to be very effective in enhancing fertility, its name in Sanskrit literally means “a hundred spouses”. Also known by its latin name of Asparagus racemosus, Shatavari is a climbing plant which grows in the low forests of India. It is mainly the roots of the plant that are used for medicinal purposes.
As per Ayurveda, Shatavari helps in balancing the “Pitta Dosha” as it is a natural coolant. It possesses sweet (madhura) and bitter (tikta) tastes (rasa). Shatavari’s properties include being rejuvenative, aphrodisiac, galactogogue, antacid, demulcent, laxative, diuretic and antispasmodic.
Benefits of Shatavari:
1. It is the best known female rejuvenative.
2. It balances the female hormonal system.
3. Shatavari enhances fertility by nourishing the ovum and female reproductive organs. It builds blood, prepares the womb for conception and prevents miscarriage. It is also a post-partum tonic where it helps to normalize the changing hormones and increases lactation.
4. Shatavari is a sexual stimulant and increases libido.
5. Shatavari balances pH in the cervix and soothes dry membranes on the vaginal wall
6. Shatavari helps to relieve PMS symptoms such as pain and controls blood loss during menstruation and regulates ovulation.
7. It is used by nursing mothers to improve lactation.
8. It is useful in amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, leucorrhea and pelvic inflammatory diseases.
9. Since Shatavari increases estrogen levels it is very useful in overcoming menopausal symptoms and for those who have undergone hysterectomies.
10. Considered very useful in bronchitis and chronic fevers as it also soothes dry membranes in the upper respiratory tract.
11. Shatavari is also considered effective in hyperacidity , stomach ulcers and dysentery.
12. Shatavari is beneficial in improving male fertility as well and used in cases of sexual debility and low sperm count.
13. Shatavari is also said to promote positive, healing feeling or Sattva and calms negative emotions like anger and irritability.
14. In children, Shatavari is said to help in growth, weight gain and improving brain functions.
15. Studies have also shown that Shatavari also stimulates machrophages which are immune cells that help in destroying harmful organisms and cancer cells. As a result of its effect on machrophages, Shatavari helps treat candida.