1) The first thing you should try when experiencing high levels of anxiety is deep breathing. Take a slow deep breath in through your nose and out through your mouth. Repeat this three times. Concentrate while breathing on slowing down your heart rate. As you slowly let each breath out feel your heart slow down.
2) Refocus your thoughts. This coping mechanism works best with practice. Let me give you an example: If your anxiety is building over that email from your boss asking you to meet him in his office in the morning, then start thinking about something else. Focus on another email, or a presentation that you need to write the introduction to. These are just examples. If your anxiety is building over what your watching on television, turn the channel. It really can be that easy.
3) Listen to soothing, calming music. World music works great for this, or you could try some classical. Any music that helps you calm down is a winner. Search Amazon. If music is not your thing, then you could try a sound scape CD. For example, a CD of rain falling on a forest floor, or a CD of a beach. While listening to the music take a couple of deep breaths.
4) Exercise is a great way to calm the nerves. You can lift weights, or do cardiovascular exercises. You can go for a bike ride. Yoga is particularly good at calming yourself as is a long walk.
5) If push comes to shove and nothing is working for you to go to your comfort zone. This is the best thing to do when you just can not relax no matter what else you've tried. Put on some comfortable clothes first. The goal here is to make yourself as comfortable as possible. Once in your comfort zone start the breathing exercises again. Put on a CD of whatever you like that makes you feel comfortable.
6) Reading is one of the best ways to get over overbearing anxiety. Read fiction, preferably a book by an author you love. Good books have a way of drawing you in. Your focus will change and the tension will slowly disappear. It is especially effective to read a favorite book while relaxing in your comfort zone.
7) This is probably the largest aggravation of anxiety … caffeine. The more caffeine you take in the more anxious your going to get. I know it is hard, but the best thing a person who suffers from anxiety can do is get rid of the caffeine. This means decaf coffee and caffeine free sodas. You will get headaches when you first exclude caffeine from your diet, but they only last a couple days. Some people still do well with just one cup of coffee in the morning, or two or three sodas through the day. Find what works for you.
Anxiety can be a killer. There are things you can do to help with it, but quite the goal is to rid yourself of anxiety completely.