Scars are the fibrous tissue formed on the skin in order to repair broken tissue. When there is an injury, the skin produces more cells in order to re-grow the punctured skin. This tissue is known as a scar.
A scar is easily visible because the cells that go in making up the scar are of lesser quality than the original cells. For example, the scars on the skin are not able to grow any hair since they have no hair follicles. Also they are lesser-resistant to UV radiation.
It is a fact that scars can never be completely healed. There are several medical and cosmetic methods to cover up scars, but none of them can claim to remove a scar completely. The scar can be masked by some methods, like laser surgery, steroid injections, dermabrasion and radio therapy, but none of these methods can remove the scar fully. On the contrary, there might be permanent injury to the skin. On the other hand, Ayurveda deals in some safe herbal methods to remove scars. These methods are generally simple home remedies, and they have no side-effects at all. You can try out these methods before going in for complicated surgical procedures.
Useful Herbs in the Treatment of Scars
– Aloe Vera (Aloe barbadensis)
Aloe vera is a good home remedy for the treatment of residual scars. Its juice acts as natural bleach. Its juice is applied to the scars, which then slowly reduce and vanish.
– Cucumber (Curcumis sativus)
The cool cucumber helps in the removal of scar tissues also. A paste is made of the cucumber and is applied directly onto the scars. This helps the scars to smoothen out after a few applications left overnight.
– Indian Gooseberry (Emblica officinalis)
The Indian gooseberry, or the amalaki, is very important in the prevention of scars after healing. Amalaki is the richest source of vitamin C, which is needed for cementing open wounds.
Dietary Guidelines for Treatment of Scars
Vitamin E is essential in the healing of a wound. When you are injured, increase the intake of vitamin E in the diet. This is available in the form of nuts, eggs, oilseeds, wheat germ, etc. Taking a lot of vitamin E speeds up the healing process. Because of this the possibility of scars remaining after the injury is very less. It must be noted that vitamin E must be had when the wound is still healing. After the scar is formed, the effects of vitamin E in removing the scar are minimal.
Vitamin C is also essential during the healing process. Vitamin C contains collagen, a cementing material that is very necessary during blood clotting. This can be got from most sour foods, including creams. Creams are considered to be best for this purpose. Cocoa cream is very beneficial in the treatment of superficial scars.
Keep your diet adequate with green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits. Taking a good amount of protein-rich food is also necessary for fast healing with less scars left.
Home Remedies for Treatment of Scars
– Take some vitamin E capsules. Open them and smear the powder or the oil of these capsules onto the scars. This will help the scars heal.
– Aloe vera paste can be mixed with the powder of vitamin E capsules. This can be rubbed onto the scar for better results. This must be done several times a day.
– You can also apply honey directly on the scars and leave it overnight. This application must be done frequently so that the scar gets enough time to get healed completely.
– Put the oil of the tea tree onto the scar and gently rub it in several times a day. The scar will vanish in a few days.
– Alternatively, green tea can be slightly blanched, dabbed onto a cotton swab and then massaged onto the scar. This will also help the scar to gradually vanish.
– Rub ice cubes onto the scars. This is a simple remedy to treat the scars. But the ice must be rubbed several times on the face.
– Olive oil is very good in removing scars. However if you don’t get olive oil for some reason, then you can take any oil and massage it on the scar several times a day. After many days of such treatment, the scar will eventually wear off.
– If the scar is due to a pimple, then the following remedy is useful. Mix a tablespoon of sour cream, a tablespoon of yogurt, a tablespoon of ground oatmeal and a few drops of lemon juice and blend it thoroughly. Apply this paste onto the face for ten minutes. Then wash it off. Do this four times in a day. Remember to use low-fat sour cream if you have an oily skin.
– Cut a clove of garlic into half and rub it on the pimples when you have them. This helps to treat the pimples without leaving a scar behind later on.