You must have heard since your childhood that “Laughter is the best medicine”. But in the modern competitive world, man people hardly care about the saying and believe that laughter has no major role in their health. But such people do not realize that they are making a grave mistake until simple moments of life make them realize the same. Laughter has got a major role in maintaining good health including a healthy mind. Many believe that laughter only acts as a temporary source of happiness. But laughter not only provides us with a source of happiness but also keeps away many diseases. There are many diseases and adverse conditions such as stress, fatigue etc. where laughter works better than any actual medicine. Here are a few points to show how laughter is the best medicine:
1. A recent study by cardiologists proved that a person who has a habit of laughing frequently has a lesser chance of facing a heart attack. Laughter might not be directly related to prevention of heart attack but it reduces mental stress. And mental stress results in impairment of the endothelium, the protective barrier lining our blood vessels. This in turn results in a series of reactions that result in building of fat and cholesterol in the arteries leading to heart attack. So, laughter indirectly also prevents heart attack.
2. Laughter decreases the chances of a stroke. This is because of the blood vessel expansion during laughing keeps away the possibility of stroke.
3. Laughing is believed to be a good cardio workout which increases flow of blood by about 22%. Watching a comedy movie resulting in a good dose of laughter is believed to give body the same effect provided during a 15-30 minutes workout.
4. The respiratory system acquires more air during laughter which is good for the body. This is due to the expansion of respiratory valves during laughter. It also helps our respiratory tract clean. Thus, laughter is a very good medicine for our breathing mechanism.
5. It is proved that laughing helps to control sugar level in the blood. So, if you have diabetes then try to enjoy life and laugh everyday. Because only medicines cannot control these sugar levels at times. Laughter and happiness have also been proven to helpful for diabetes patients.
6. It is believed that a stress free body will have less diseases. Laughing helps to create a stress free mind. It is said that there is no tension during laughter. And a relieved and stress free body results in a healthy body more often than not. So, it is not easy for diseases to affect a person who is happy and laughs everyday. So, laughter tends to be a cost free medicine for all kinds of ailments.
7. Laughter has no side effects for sure whereas all modern-day medicines have got some side effects. So, we can laugh without worrying about any harm caused to us. Laughter can never harm us but only help us all the time.
8. Laughter is also proven to enhance the facial beauty of a person. Laughter results in movements of the lips and the facial muscles. It has been observed that people who have a good sense of humor and who laugh everyday also have a beautiful face. Due to the amount of facial exercise in laughter there is good amount of blood circulation in the face resulting in a glowing face.
A happy mind leads to a happy body and soul. And there are hardly many things that can result in more happiness than a genuine dose of laughter. So, try to be happy and laugh every day of your life. It will release all the pressure and make this world a lot better place to live in for you as well as for others.