According to the National Institutes of Health, Psoriasis is a is a noncontagious, lifelong skin disease that affects about 7.5 million Americans. The most common form appears as raised scaly red patches or silver lesions on the skins surface.
The redish silver skin lesions are only part of the discomfort. Most medicines treat the physical symptoms of the skin disease without addressing the emotional issues.
Many sufferers feel one or a combination of the following emotions including: anger, anxiety, embarrassed, depressed, frustrated, guilty, inadequate, powerless, sad, self-conscious, stressed, and unworthy.
EFT or Emotional Freedom Techniques is the quickest and most effective technique that you can use to deal with negative emotions and self-limiting beliefs. EFT is an emotional version of acupuncture without the needles. When we tap on certain meridian points, it tends to balance the energy flow in our body. EFT is simple to learn, gentle and easy to use, can be used anywhere, only take minutes, and has such great results.
The EFT steps to survive Psoriasis emotionally are:
1. Make a list of all your negative emotions you are feeling, starting with the most intense. Beside each emotion write down 3 reasons you feel that way. (Embarressed because somebody may notice, or self-conscious because I look different, or inadequate because everybody else has normal skin).
2. Rate the intensity of each emotion on your list using the 1-10 scale (Ten being the most intense).
3. Set up Affirmation and reminder phrase –
Affirmation: Even though I am embarrassed, I deeply and completely accept myself, or Even though I feel self-conscious about my red spots, I accept myself completely.
Reminder phrase: This embarressed feeling, or my self-conscious feeling.
4. Begin tapping lightly on the following meridian points on one side of your body using your index finger and middle finger with either hand, as you speak the phrases out loud. (To view a chart of the tapping points go to www.mindbodytapping.com)
Karate Chop – “Even though I am embarrassed about having these red patches all over me, I deeply and completely accept myself.” (Repeat 3 times).
Eye Brow (Beginning of your eye brow near the top of your nose) – “These red patches”
Side of the eye – “Embarrassed that someone will notice”
Below the eye – “I look different”
Under the nose – “Why can’t my skin just look clear”
Middle of the chin – “Embarrassed of these red patches”
Under the collarbone – “”Embarressed about what they will think”
Under the armpit – “The red spots make me stand out”
Top of the head – “Embarrassed about having Psoriasis.”
5. Take a deep breath.
6. Re-evaluate the intensity level of the issue using the 1 to 10 scale.
7. Tap a second round (Continue tapping as many rounds as you need to reduce the intensity level of the issue below a 3).
8. Move onto the next emotion or issue starting with the Evaluation #2.