Sore throat is usually caused by an inflammation of the tonsils, larynx or pharynx and can be painful and uncomfortable and it is one of the most common medical complaints and some of the most common causes of sore throat are:
Sinus drainage – if you have a sinus infection, you can develop a sore throat, especially in the morning.
Tonsillitis – this is a common throat infection when the tonsils become infected.
Strep – symptoms are fever, red or white spots on the tonsils.
It is advisable to nip a sore throat in the bud before it can develop into something more serious. Here are some popular and classic sore throat remedies which you can try:
1. At the first sign of an infection, gargle with hydrogen peroxide and water.
2. Take dietary supplements and many doctors recommend the papaya enzymes as a natural remedy as papaya is high in Vitamin C and a powerful antioxidant. They assist in stuffy sinuses, swollen throat and if your swollen tonsil is not clearing even with antibiotics, the papaya tablet can shrink the tonsil. You can also take a mouthful of papaya juice and hold it in the mouth for about 10 minutes.
3. Drink plenty of water – warm drinks to assist the throat to heal and also iced drinks to ease the pain. In fact, it is best to drink both. Whatever sore throat remedies you are using, this is one remedy which you must have.
4. Make yourself an anise mint tea. as it is extremely good remedy. Take 1 teaspoon of dried anise mint for each cup of boiling water, steep for 10 minutes, strain and sweeten. You can drink it warm as as often as desired.
5. If you have an inflamed tonsils – place a handful of sage in 2 cups of water. Simmer for 15 minutes. Use a flannel cloth and dip in the liquid and place the sage leaves in the flannel and wrap around your throat. Use another flannel cloth and dip in the liquid and wrap this around your throat, this is to maintain the heat of the first flannel cloth, and repeat this second step when it becomes cold. While you are it, relax and make yourself an infusion of sage tea.
6. Suck throat lozenges to ease your pain and to keep your throat moist.
7. One popular and classic sore throat remedies is to take plenty of rest and sleep and definitely recommended by your doctor.
8. You can also select a handful of selected herbs into a bowl of hot water. Cover your head with a towel and inhale the herbal aroma for 5-10 minutes. Herbs which you can try are eucalyptus, basil, hyssop, lavender, cayenne pepper, cinnamon sticks, thyme, sage, rosemary. All these herbs have a detoxifying effect.
9. Gargle with an infusion of sage and thyme as using these two herbs together make a powerful combination for treating sore throats and ticklish coughs.
It is always too tempting to reach for over-the-counter drugs to ease our sore throat but do give your body a break by trying some of the safe and natural sore throat remedies above and ward off the unwelcome side-effects of pharmaceutical drugs.