Plantain is a perennial with many fibrous roots. Quadruple blossoms are arranged in spikes. Petals fuse to form a tube. Stamens are longer than the corolla lobes. Fruits are capsules longer than calyx. The herb blooms starting from June till October.
The article deals with the healing qualities of greater plantain and ribwort plantain. In addition, it describes guidelines on how to use the herb to deal with various health problems, such as various types of gastritis, stomach and duodenal ulcer, bronchitis, hemorrhoids and etc.
- Greater plantain leaves contain iridoid glycoside aucubin, flavonoids, carbohydrates, mineral substances (such as copper, iron, zinc, molybdenum, chromium and other micro elements), mannitol, vitamin C, vitamin K, mucilaginous substances, citric acid, tannins and other biologically active substances. Seeds contain up to 44 percent mucilaginous substances, 20 percent oil, 22 percent proteins, 16 percent amino acids, steroid saponins and a lot of other micro elements.
- Ribwort plantain tops contain phenyl carbolic acids, flavonoids, carbohydrates, fumaric acid, while seeds are rich in mucilaginous substances, oils, proteins. Roots contain various phytosterols.
- The herb possesses anti-inflammatory, secretory, bactericidal and antispasmodic properties.
- The active substances of greater plantain stimulate glandular secretion, fight inflammation, relieve pain, heal wound and stop bleeding. In addition, it has bacteriostatic action. Extract made of the leaves reduces blood pressure, calms you down and has antispasmodic action. Tea, infusion, decoction and other remedies made of the herb are used to facilitate anticipation in case of bronchitis, bronchial asthma, whooping cough and even phthisis. In order to make the infusion or decoction, you should infuse 2-4 grams of the herbs with a glass of boiling water. Let the tissue brew for some time and drink it 3 times a day. Infuse greater plantain (1 part) with an alcohol at 25 percent concentration (1 part) and take 2-4 millilitres of the extract. The tincture should be made by infusing the herb (1 part) with an alcohol at 45 percent concentration (5 parts). Take 2-4 millilitres of the tincture.
- Mix greater plantain with comfrey root and use the remedy to deal with hemorrhagic gastritis and hemorrhoids.
- Juice plantain leaves and drink the juice to deal with stomach and duodenal ulcer, and anacid and hypacid gastritis.
- Some nations use plantain remedies in case of nephritis, urinary retention, diarrhea, lung cancer and parasite infestation. In terms of external use, these remedies are proven to be of great help when dealing with strain, dislocation, wart, boil and insect sting.