Symptoms of oral thrush include the appearance of creamy, white lesions on the tongue, inner cheeks and sometimes on the roof of the mouth, gums and tonsils with a cottage cheese-like lesions and slight bleeding if the lesions are rubbed or scraped. It is understandable that the person infected with oral thrush may be self-conscious and prefer to stay home during this period.
Even though yeast infection in the mouth is generally not life threatening, it is highly advisable to treat it immediately. This article is to introduce several suggestions for oral thrush remedies that can significantly enhance the healing process while at home.
- To eliminate the yeasts and bacteria in the mouth, swish the mouth with warm saltwater at least 3 times a day, especially after meals. This will help clean the mouth of food remnants more effectively. Natural unsweetened yoghurt is also one of the best natural oral thrush remedies as it serves as an antibiotic towards thrush. Retain yoghurt in the mouth for a few seconds before swallowing.
- Garlic and onions possess anti-bacterial properties that can help get rid of mouth thrush. Try adding some raw garlic and onions in your diet. Garlic supplements will also do the trick if you have worries about ‘garlic breath’.
- Try to refrain from solid food and consume soft liquid food instead. This is because hard, solid food would further bruise the lesions in the mouth and make it more difficult to heal. Vegetable soups cooked with a variety of bright coloured vegetables like pumpkin, carrots, celery, beetroot and bell peppers are beneficial for the healing process as these vegetables contain high levels of antioxidants. Antioxidants are vital to help build up the immune system of the person infected with thrush. Take vitamin supplements like vitamin E, C and A in a higher dosage to help boost the immune system.
- Sleep early to allow the body and mind to have sufficient rest. A person who is well rested is less prone to physical and emotional stress. It is vital to maintain a healthy physical and emotional well-being as stress is one of the main triggers of thrush. Sleep at least 6 hours a day to ensure that the body has enough rest.
- Stay away from sugary food as yeasts feed on sugar. Consumption of sugar will cause the yeasts in the mouth to spread more rapidly. If you have a sweet tooth and simply can’t live without something sweet, I would recommend that you take some fresh fruits which are high in nutrients and vitamins as opposed to sweet processed food.
Oral thrush should be treated immediately to avoid the yeasts from spreading further into the throat which by then would be difficult to recover. All the oral thrush remedies recommended in this article are only a few of the many ways to cure oral yeast infection. There are many other effective treatments available that could cure oral thrush more rapidly.