Noises in the ear also known as Tinnitis or continues to baffle modern science for a cure. The symptoms of severe tinnitis include sounds in the ear like bells, whistles, sirens, cicadas, chirping, or even muted thunder. Tinnitis often becomes worse at night when background noise is low. At this time tinnitis can become so severe and aggravating that it will keep a person awake. Anyone that suffers with noises in the ear understands just how devastating tinnitis can become. Researchers and doctors have called tinnitis the third worst thing a person can endure, the first being severe intractable pain, and the second persistent and uncontrollable dizziness. Yet there is no real sound created by tinnitis, and it’s been diagnosed as a neurological condition. There is no known cure for the torment of tinnitis although a number of medications and treatments are prescribed for the symptoms.
If you suffer with noises in the ears that are having a negative impact on your life its best to see your physician. There are many reasons you could be affected with tinnitis and some of them are quite serious. It’s good to let your doctor know if your having problems with sounds in the ear.
There are a few things you can do to help decrease the onset or the symptoms of tinnitis and some of them are quite effective in dealing with the problem.
· If possible avoid exposure to loud, intense, or prolonged noise. Many physicians believe excessive and intense noise can cause nerve damage in a sensitive area of the middle ear called the cochlea and is responsible for the symptoms of tinnitis. If you are unable to avoid intense noise pollution it’s a good idea to wear earplugs and noise suppression protection like ear guards when you’re exposed to high levels of acoustic energy. Not only will it help you if you already suffer with noises in the ears, it will decrease the probability that you will develop tinnitis.
· Get your blood pressure checked. Tinnitis can be caused by hypertension. If your suffering with tinnitis have your blood pressure checked, it could save your life. Ringing in the ears can be caused by hypertensions and the cause could be more serious than the tinnitis itself. Remember blood pressure is often elevated by excessive salt intake and salt impairs circulation and causes the body to retain water. One of the first things a doctor will recommend if you have hypertension is to reduce your salt intake.
· Coffee, tea, caffeine, cola, and especially nicotine will not only increase your blood pressure but are often aggravate or increase the volume and intensity and onset of tinnitis These products have been linked to noises in the ears and will often produce noises in the ears for some people sensitive to them.
· Daily exercise is important and will help reduce your stress level. Excessive or prolonged periods of stress can augment or create tinnitis. Remember research has shown that subjective tinnitis often originates in areas of the baring that deal with emotions like anger. A brisk walk may help reduce the stress associated with the ear sounds.
· It will help if you can learn to stop worrying about noise in the ears. Since there is no real cure you may have to accept it for what it is and ignore it as much as possible. But remember just because there is no cure it doesn’t mean there is no hope for the torment of tinnitis.