Nickel Allergy – How Do You Cope?

Allergies affect millions of people around the globe. One form of health malady known to be a silent yet can oftentimes be a grave type of skin reaction is the nickel allergy. The name may sound new to you, but this type of allergy is considered to be the most common root causes of rashes and allergic dermatitis among people.

What It Is?

Nickel allergy is known to be an allergic reaction and hypersensitivity to metal objects and substances particularly those stuffs that people come in contact with in their everyday living. Not all know that there are few people who develop abnormal reactions when exposed to these kinds of substances. Such substances and things associated with nickel allergy are coins, jewelries, watches, pins, handbag and belt buckles, eyeglass frames, needles, pins and a lot of other objects that are made of metal.

How One Can Get Affected?

Nickel allergy is not an airborne disease nor can it be directly passed from one person to another. Nickel allergy is developed the moment a person has been exposed for either a short or long periods of time in a particular object made of metal. If a person is allergic to nickel, the body will have adverse reactions once exposed. This is due to the fact that the immune system and tolerance of a person when it comes to nickel and other metals is low. Apart from this, an allergic reaction to nickel generates the inability of the body to protect itself thereby the existence and emergence of nickel allergy.

What are the Warning Signs?

A person allergic to nickel once open to the elements of metals will show signs of symptoms within the duration of 12 to 48 hours. An individual suffering from nickel allergy will see through changes in the skin such as rashes and redness, itchiness, blisters and oftentimes the presence of fluids in the infected area on grave cases.

What are the Possible Treatments?

Since hypersensitivity to nickel is not only developed through exposure to metal objects, one must also know that nickel allergy can also be associated not only with nickel related objects but also from the food one consumes. Some of the foods that have nickel content are vegetables like broccoli, legumes, and green peas. Other foods such as chocolates and dried fruits are also high in nickel.

Given this state, the best possible treatments for nickel allergy can include a low nickel diet and the avoidance of too much exposure to metal objects in the main. Therefore, an identification of which foods and metal objects to avoid in preventing hypersensitivity and allergic skin reactions is essential. Secondly, when you’ve already identified foods with high content of nickel and objects that are metal-made, the next thing is to avoid using and eating them. The moment your body and skin reacts to metals and the aforementioned food groups, the avoidance of coming in contact and ingesting foods like these will be of great help. Finally, when it’s too late for prevention, temporary solutions like moisturizers, antihistamine and corticosteroid creams can be one of the sound solutions to take in providing fleeting relief.