Sleep may be the most important part of your health. Without proper sleep our bodies cannot function properly physically or mentally. If you have problems falling asleep it is a good idea to give some attention to some natural ways you can fall asleep easily and wake up refreshed.
- Go to sleep early enough so that you can get a full eight hours of sleep before you have to wake up.
- Make sure you feel warm. A cold body will tense up and create energy just to adjust the body temperature.
- Create a calming atmosphere in your bedroom with pleasant colors, pictures and comfortable bedding.
- Use sleep aids to shut down stimulation to your senses such as ear plugs and eye masks.
- Listen to soothing music while you are attempting to fall asleep.
- Drink calming tea such as chamomile or kava.
- Go through your day backwards in your mind. Start with the events that happened right before you prepared yourself for going to sleep and then recall every event that happened previous to that, all the way through to the time when you woke up in the morning.
- Make a mental list of everything in your life that you appreciate. This list should be endless and it will lull you to sleep in a positive state.
- Try a breathing meditation by focusing on the inhalation and exhalation of your breath.
- Do a mental body scan relaxation. Focus on each body party and tell yourself to relax all your muscles.
- Read a book and when you start to tire, force yourself to read one more chapter. This way you will be able to fall asleep as soon as you put down the book.
If you practice using these holistic methods to fall asleep it should be unnecessary to use medications. If you feel that your sleeplessness does not respond to these methods, seek help from a physician to rule out any medical problems.