Irregular menstrual cycle means irregularities in time gap between two consecutive cycles and irregular flow of blood. The symptoms are mostly prevalent when a girl attains puberty and in the perimenopause stage. Some women may experience irregular menstruation cycles throughout their fertility period. Fluctuations in the levels of estrogen and progesterone are the main causative factors, but many other factors may also play a vital role in this disorder. Irregular menstrual cycles causing heavy bleeding may disrupt the normal life of a woman bringing in other complications. Whatever may be the reason, this disorder demands immediate treatment to maintain the normalcy of life.
Irregular menstrual cycle can be characterized by the following symptoms.
1. Too long or too short gaps between the periods.
2. Absence of periods
3. Excessive or scanty bleeding during the periods.
4. Inconsistent bleeding.
A number of factors are responsible for irregular menstrual cycles, some of which are mentioned below.
1. Hormonal imbalance
2. Stressful life
3. Emotional turmoil during pregnancy.
4. Certain medications
5. Poor diet and unhealthy lifestyle
7. Thyroid problems.
A medical consultation is always recommended in case of irregularities in menstrual cycles. One can also adopt effective natural remedies to regularize the periods.
1. Drinking a glass of carrot juice daily for three months is a very effective natural remedy to treat irregular menstrual cycles.
2. Avoid high calorie and carbohydrate rich foods. Stick to fresh fruits and vegetables to maintain a good diet. Pumpkin, drumsticks, snake gourd, bitter gourd, dates, papaya and cucumber are ideal foods to get relief from this disorder. Processed and junk foods must be strictly avoided.
3. Iron rich foods like broccoli, lettuce, spinach and apple help in reducing anemia and regularizing menstrual periods.
4. Asafetida is widely used in treating menstrual disorders. Add one-fourth teaspoon of asafetida in one teaspoon of warm butter and fry it for ten minutes. Take this mixture regularly with soups or buttermilk.
5. Prepare a concoction of ginger and add one teaspoonful of honey. Taking this mixture daily, helps in regularizing menstrual cycle.
6. Intake of fenugreek and sesame seeds with salads and vegetables are highly beneficial in treating irregular menstruation periods. This practice should be carried out for 2-3 months to get the best result.
7. A mixture of mint powder and one teaspoonful of honey is useful in treating this disorder. The mixture should be taken 2-3 times a day for effective result.