When thyroid glands becomes overactive and produces excessive amount of thyroid hormone which circulates in our blood then this condition is called as hyperthyroid. The common causes of hyperthyroid include:
1. Intake of excessive iodine
2. Inflammation of thyroid gland
3. Secretion of TSH abnormally
4. Graves disease
Several sign and symptoms have been observed by the patient of the hyperthyroidism. Patients with mild affect of hyperthyroidism generally experience no symptoms at all. As there is increase in the degree of hyperthyroidism the complication and the sign and symptom of the problem becomes more obvious. Usually it is related to the increased metabolic rate of the body. Most common symptom of hyperthyroidism includes:
1. Irregularities in menstrual cycle
2. Decreased in concentration
3. Loss in weight
4. Increased heart rate
6. Agitation and nervousness
7. Excessive feeling of hot
9. Increased bowel movements
10. Sweating in excess
This condition of hyperthyroid should not be left untreated because in severe form it may result into “thyroid storm”. In this condition the patient suffers from fever, high blood pressure and even heart failure. It may also result into mental changes like delirium and confusion. Due to irregular heart rhythms, especially in older patient’s heart failure can occur.
There are some natural cures which will help to manage the symptoms of hyperthyroid.
1. We have to make some dietary changes in order to reduce the symptoms of hyperthyroid. Some foods like wheat, dairy products, soybeans, spinach, broccoli and cabbage affect the proper functioning of the thyroid. So if possible eliminate all these food from your diet or at least eliminate maximum you can to moderate the thyroid dysfunction.
2. In the nervous system, activity is already increased by thyroid hormone and if we intake stimulants like caffeine or nicotine then the condition will become worse. So to maintain stability, stimulants must be avoided.
3. An herb of the mint family called lemon balm is very effective to reduce the affect of hyperthyroidism. For the regulation of thyroid it can be taken in the form of tea.
4. Antioxidants are also helpful to manage excess thyroid hormones in the blood. Vitamin C and green tea can be used as antioxidants. This is very effective remedies for hyperthyroidism.
5. A process called acupuncture helps to restore hormones to the appropriate levels. It is a process in which needles are used. It is used to stimulate some specific points in our body so that one may get rid of this problem.