The next time you catch a cold instead of just suppressing the symptoms something from the drug store try to help the body end the virus with natural cures.
Five Natural Cold Remedies
- Zinc. This mineral can be used as a preventative measure. Oysters are the best source of zinc. Alaskan king crab, lobster and chicken are good sources too. Almonds and cashews are also good sources of zinc. In vegetables and grains there is a component that reduces the absorption of zinc so you get less from these sources, however some are still good such as kidney beans, oatmeal and peas. You can also supplement with 30 milligrams of zinc daily, but if you do, you should also take 1 – 2 milligrams of copper as these two rob the body of each other.
- Vitamin C is well known both to end the virus and as a preventative measure. Grapefruit is high in vitamin C and has less sugar then other citrus which makes it better suited for detoxifying the liver which will greatly aid in ridding the body of any virus. You should not only eat the fruit, but also the bitter white pulp inside the peel contains a great deal of nutrition.
- Goldenseal is one of the great natural cold remedies. You do need to use precaution with this herb as it can be toxic if taken in too large a dose. While Goldenseal and Echinacea are often sold in stores combined together for a cold remedy, we don`t recommend taking these combined. You need more Echinacea then Goldenseal and as already stated the latter is toxic if you take too much. Goldenseal has berberine which is a natural antibiotic. Take 1/2 a teaspoon tincture twice daily for up to 7 days.
- Echinacea stimulates the immune systems and if taken early enough can stave off the more serious symptoms of the common cold. Take 2 capsules three times daily until symptoms reduce. Echinacea will have the greatest effect if taken at the earliest sign of a cold.
- Garlic. If you can stand it, one of the great natural cold remedies is to chew on a garlic clove to release the oil inside. By chewing you not only get the antiviral and anti-bacterial components in garlic, but sensors in the throat will register this and activate the immune system which will further aid in getting rid of the cold virus.
The author is not a Doctor and has no medical training. Always consult your health care professional before using these or any home remedies or natural cures.