Definition: It is an acute, contagious viral disease, usually occurring in childhood and characterized by eruption of red spots on the skin, fever, and catarrhal symptoms.
Measles, also known as rubeola, is a potentially disastrous disease. It can be complicated by ear infections, pneumonia, encephalitis. The virus is spread easily through the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes or by direct contact with infected nose or throat secretions.
It is a highly infectious viral disease characterized by a sore throat and a blotchy red rash that starts on the face and neck, and spreads to the rest of the body.Measles is also known as, five-day measures, or hard measles. A person who has had measles will never get the disease again.
Causes for Measles
Measles is caused by the measles virus ie- Paramyxovirus. It is mostly seen in the winter and spring. The virus enters the body through the respiratory tract or the conjunctiva. Measles is endemic through the world.
Other main causes of measles includes:
- Personal contact is the main cause of measles because it is a contagious disease.
- Droplets from coughs and sneezes
- Immunodeficiency due to HIV / AIDS
- Vitamin A deficiency will lead to the condition of measles.
Symptoms of Measles
The symptoms of measles usually begin to develop about 7-11 days after the person first becomes infected.
List of symptoms of Measles:
- Runny nose.
- Red eyes.
- Red spots in mouth.
- Red spots inside cheeks.
- Koplik spots – small spots in the mouth.
- Mouth spots with white center and red ring.
- Skin rash.
- Light sensitivity.
- coughing, possibly with a barking cough.
- sore throat – the lymph nodes in the throat may swell.
- at first the spots are very small – a couple of millimeters – but they are double in size quickly and begin to join together.
- the temperature, which may run as high as 40ºC, may stay that high for a couple of days. Then it disappears together with the rash, which may leave some brown spots.
Herbal Home remedies for Measles
Here are some Important Herbal and Home Remedies for the Measles:
Garlic Oil: Apply garlic oil to any infected areas to prevent infection.
Drink Saffron: Drink saffron and snake root tea to aid the healing process.
Lobelia: Take lobelia and yarrow for the fastest recovery from measles.
Orange Juice: Fresh Orange juice is very beneficial for the measurements treatment.
Barley Water: Barley water should be taken daily to cure from measurements.
Lemonade: Lemonade should be taken often.
Chamomile: It will not only help reduce a fever but stimulates the immune system too. hild hydrated with fluids and give a soothing oatmeal baths to tie itching.
Ginger Tea: It can be effective against a fever. It is most helpful for the child who tends to feel cold, especially in the hands and feet.
Shiitake Mushrooms: It has immure-stimulating properties. They may be ate fresh, or taken in capsule form.