Beef Rendang is very popular dish throughout Asia, originally it came from Padang, West Sumatra, Indonesia. It has rich flavour of coconut milk and other Indonesian traditional spices. The original recipe, it has a very spicy taste, but in this recipe, I reduce some of the chillies. If you think the amount of chillies in this recipe is still plenty, you can reduce it as well to the level of spicy that you can handle. To add a variation in this recipe, I have added potatoes and eggs.
1 kg Tenderloin Beef Meat, cut into 5 x 5 x 5 cm
2000 ml Coconut Milk (from 3 coconuts)
2 cm Greater Galangal, bruise to release flavour
4 stalks Lemon Grass, pick the white part then bruise to release flavour
8 Kafiir Lime Leaves, spines removed
1 Turmeric Leaves
3 Bay Leaves
Spice paste (Grinded or Blended Ingredients):
5 cloves Garlic
100 gr Ground Red Chilies
4 cm Ginger
2 cm Turmeric
2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Coriander Seed
1. Boil Eggs for 7 minutes, peeled, set aside.
2. Boil Potatoes for 20 minutes until soft, peeled, set aside.
3. In a pot, boil coconut milk in medium fire. Add lemon grass,greater galangal, kafiir lime leaves, turmeric leaves and all blended ingredients, mix it all together.
4. Place the beef meat into the coconut milk, keep stirring until it boils.
5. After boiled, set the fire into low position. Cook until the beef meat tender and coconut milk dried up.
6. At last, place boiled potatoes and eggs into the pot, stir it a little bit, serve.