Insomnia (sleeplessness) is a common sleep disorder in which a person experience difficulty in sleeping. Depression and anxiety are the two main causes of insomnia. Poor concentration, short memory, decreased alertness and mental sluggishness are major symptoms of sleeplessness. Person suffering from insomnia feel irritability without any obvious cause.
Home Remedies to Treat Insomnia
1. Take your dinner at least 4 hours ahead of your bed time. Insomnia is often aggravated by digestive problems, and hence, it is best to avoid the problem altogether.
2. Avoid drink such as coffee, alcohol, and tea that influences sleep. In case you must have your regular cup of coffee, at least ensure that you take it before a minimum of four hours from your bedtime.
3. Regular exercise helps in relieving stress, depression, anxiety and sleeplessness. Even a walk for about 30 minutes daily is also good. Try to gradually increase it to one hour or so for best results.
4. If you find that you cannot sleep, do something that you enjoy (reading, listing to music, writing letters to dear ones, etc) aiming to relax your mind and body. Sleep usually comes after your body relaxes completely.
5. Self help and natural therapies also help in treating insomnia. Improve sleep habits and environment. Practice stress management and relaxation techniques. Acupuncture and massage, cognitive behavior therapy, herbal remedies and homeopathic remedies are also helpful in treating this disorder.
6. Aromatherapy is another useful natural treatment for sleeplessness. Taking a bath before going to bed using a few drops of essential oils like lavender, marjoram, or ylang-ylang can help. Or you can drop these oils directly on your pillow.
7. Diet containing magnesium can help to improve sleep in those suffering from sleeplessness. So, include magnesium rich foods in your diet.
Disclaimer: This article is not meant to provide health advice and is for general information only. Always seek the insights of a qualified health professional before embarking on any health program.
Copyright © Nick Mutt, All Rights Reserved. If you want to use this article on your website or in your ezine, make all the urls (links) active.
Here is an excellent Anti stress herbal supplement that will give you stress free life you were longing for. Also read Home remedies for insomnia at Natural cures website – a health guide to make you and your family fit and healthy.