How to Test For Black Mold

In most homes it is likely that someone will, at some point, find mold. Black mold is one of the most toxic molds out there. This type of mold can cause serious health problems for those that are exposed to it. In extreme cases it can even cause death. Some of the illnesses caused by toxic mold are bronchitis and asthma. In the past, it has also been responsible for infant deaths. Due to the serious nature of the risks associated with toxic mold, it is important to identify and remove it. Once mold has been discovered it must be tested in order to find out if mold is toxic or not.

When a homeowner or tenant has found mold in the house they have two options when it comes to testing. The first option is to purchase a home testing kit. These tests are cheaper than hiring a professional to take a look at the house. The tests are simple to use and usually require a sample of mold to be placed in a container overnight. However, the better option is to hire a professional. While this may be more expensive, they will check for mold in areas of the home the average person cannot. Once they have found mold they will be able to identify and remove it. If a home testing kit is used the homeowner will have to remove mold themselves.

If however the homeowner does decide to remove the mold themselves, they should remember that the root cause of the mold must be found before removal. If this is not done, the problem will continue. The area that is affected should be cleaned by using bleach. The mixture to remove the mold should be one cup of bleach per gallon of water. If areas such as carpets are affected, the carpets will need to be replaced. In addition, it is very important that the person that is removing mold is wearing protective gear.

In an ideal situation mold should not be present. To achieve this desirable result appropriate measures should be taken to prevent mold occurring in the home. The first step in eliminating mold is to control how much humidity is in the house. In areas such as the bathroom and the kitchen there should be enough ventilation to make sure these rooms do not become a breeding ground for mold.

Black mold testing is very important as it determines whether mold in the house is toxic or not. Due to the serious health issues that black mold causes it would be foolish not to test the mold in the home in order to identify it. Once it is identified it must be removed otherwise the problem could get worse.