Radon is a gas that is produced by the decay of some soil components, mostly granite and uranium. The gas seeps through the atmosphere and when it is inhaled, it causes poisoning. When it seeps through cracks and gets trapped in a house that does not have proper ventilation, chances are that the biological system of our bodies will get severely affected and may result to death if not treated early enough.
Radon poisoning affects children more than adults according to statistics. Overall, radon poisoning causes aver 20,000 deaths per year in the US alone. How then can one know when radon poisoning is occurring or whether they are at risk of radon poisoning? To begin with, let it be noted that radon is a colorless and odorless gas and as such it may be extremely difficult to detect its presence in a house or in the air. Symptoms that one can therefore look out for include irritation of the lungs and respiratory system.
If this irritation is ignored for long periods of time, chances are that one is susceptible to getting lung cancer. Children are at a higher risk because their immune system is not fully developed and they may not be able to fight the toxic substance contained in radon. Lung cancer is known to be rampant among smokers, so if it is detected among a non-smoking population, then it can be attributed to radon gas. Other conditions that are as a result of radon poisoning include emphysema and pulmonary fibrosis.
To prevent radon poisoning, begin by ensuring that the house in which you live is well ventilated. Again, builders should ensure that their work is up to standard so that the foundation of the houses they build do not crack or allow for the passage of the gas. If possible, radon resistant material should be used in construction, up to the third floors of storey buildings.