Social fear is tough to figure out and can be just as hard to overcome, but if you are able to find the root cause of your social fear you will have a much greater chance of overcoming your social phobia once and for all. This article will help you in your path to regaining your life …
Do not believe all that you read and hear
Often when a person sufferers from social anxiety, they will seek advice and help from friends, family and many will defer to the internet for advice on how to social social anxiety.
The problem with this method is that many of the people you will be seeking advice from have never experienced social phobia themselves and can not relate to what you are going through. The internet is a great place to find information on gaining control over your social fears but there is a lot of bad information out there so you will need to sift through and find what works and what does not.
Many articles and websites will give you the same rehashed information on how you can social fear, but most are written by people who have never suffered that overwhelming fear of social situations that you are experiencing.
I know how difficult it can be to find useful and relevant information because I spent the better part of six months researching and reading how I could get over my social fear of public speaking, meeting new people and the insecurities I have about my weight and how people judge me.
How You Got Social Anxiety
There is no one known specific cause for social anxiety disorder, although many medical researchers feel that there are three main causes including physical, biological and environmental factors.
- Physical – social fear may have been triggered from an embarrassing moment from your past.
- Biological – social phobia may be the result of a chemical imbalance with your serotonin levels
- Environmental factors – occurs when you witness someone else having a humiliating social moment and you fear the same thing happening to you.
Signs of Social Anxiety
While there are many signs that you may be suffering from the effects of social phobia, many people often do not realize that these symptoms are signs that they are suffering from a mental illness and never seek treatment. The most common symptoms are:
- Avoiding social situations due to fear of being made fun of, judged, embarrassed or humiliated
- Increased anxiety or nervousness when in social environments
- Physical symptoms such as sweating, blushing, upset stomach, confusion, pounding heart, shortness of breath, and even diarrhea.
Social Anxiety Treatments
There are three main types of treatment for social phobia, with the proper treatment you can overcome your social fear and live a happy and healthy life, but often times people waste a lot of time in overcoming their social anxiety due to listening to bad advice and suggestions from others who have no experience in dealing with social fear and are merely offering their opinions.
The key with any good social anxiety treatment plan is to reprogram your brain in how it processes your thoughts, feelings, habits, and behaviors.
I know this looks like a lot but really with the right training and a sound plan of attack, overcoming social anxiety is really a lot more attainable and manageable than many people make it out to be.
Here are the three main types of social phobia treatments available:
- Cognitive-Behavior Therapy – looking into your mind and your thoughts and how they affect how you feel in social situations. Once you have reprogrammed your thoughts and feelings you can really start the process of overcoming social anxiety.
- Medication – anti-depressants, anti-anxiety and beta blockers are sometimes used in combination with cognitive-behavioral therapy to reduce your anxiety levels but anxiety medication will not eliminate your social anxiety long term and once you stop taking them your anxiety returns. There are also many ill side-effects that have been reported with these types of medicines.
- Neuro-linguistic Programming – is among the most powerful forms of social anxiety treatments available. You are finding your personal power buried deep inside and getting to the root causes of your anxiety.
How I Am Overcoming My Social Anxiety
I have been dealing with the effects of social anxiety for most of my life, for me I noticed the symptoms starting to develop around the time I entered high school which was about just over 15 years ago.
15 years to some may not seem like a long time, but to me that is way to long and I knew that I did not want to spend the rest of my life with the anchor of social fear so I began to research as much as I could on how to social social anxiety .