Much has been said, tested and proven about virgin coconut oil in its effectiveness for healthy and fabulous hair growth. In fact, some expensive miracle hair products also highly contain this natural ingredient, mixed or used with other ingredients. But you do need to continuously spend money to use this ‘miracle potion’ or your hair will gradually go back to being dull and lifeless.
And even I, in my how to make hair grow fast journey, use virgin coconut oil externally and orally.
I can get a 500ml bottle of quality certified organic virgin coconut oil for around, MYR35 – MYR80 or USD12 – USD30, from the pharmacy or an organic shop about a minute’s drive from my home.
I am currently using the MYR35 (USD12), 500ml bottle and it works great on my hair. To know which virgin coconut oil is pure and of good quality, it is advisable to find an informative, honest and reliable retailer.
As far as I have tried this single ingredient alone for my consistent scalp massages and to use as conditioner or moisturizer, I find it works wonders for my ‘how to make hair grow faster’ journey. Plus, I’m saving tons by just getting this in my neighborhood.
And there is no need to mix or use this oil with any other particular or special ingredient, though you can if you want to.
Like for me, I also use some natural ingredients which I mix and match and are just as effective and really cheap which I can get from the grocery store. When I sometimes feel like ‘having a citrus’ or ‘having honey’, I would use these to suit my different moods and feelings.
But here, I would like to take you through the steps of how I use virgin coconut oil as my hair moisturizer. Here are the steps:
1. Prepare what I need – extra virgin coconut oil, wide tooth comb, hair pins, shower cap, warm towel, hair pins (optional)
2. Wash my hair with regular shampoo, no conditioning
3. I gently dab and squeeze to soak up the wetness (till it’s just moist and not dripping) NOT rub, tug or pull at my hair
4. I use a wide tooth comb to gently loosen the knots and tangles
5. Rub one teaspoon of virgin coconut oil between my two hands, vigorously till my hands then feel warm.
6. Comb and evenly spread the oil in gliding motion, gently through my hair. I would start about 4 inches from my scalp and going all the way down to the ends of my hair
7. Take another 1 teaspoon of virgin coconut oil, again, rub between my hands. Apply this on just the ends of my hair. You may add another teaspoon if you have dry, weak or split ends (by the way, you should be trimming off the split ends).
8. Get my warm towel, wrap my hair up on my head (clip or pin it up if need to).
9. Then I put my plastic shower cap over my head/towel, for at least 30 minutes. If you have more time, one hour is great.
10. Remove cap and towel.
11. Rinse my hair in the shower, cold water, for at least 5 minutes, or till I feel the oil has been removed.
Some points to note:
As I had dry and fizzy hair, I started this ‘treatment’ three times weekly (during my early months of hair growth journey).
Now, I do this once a week, or at times twice a week (weekends or off days) – like if I have been out in the hot sun for some time, on the beach or when I feel (touch) my hair needs one more time.
For the amount of virgin coconut oil, do be flexible and adjust according to your hair’s length and texture. What I suggested above, is for a start – there are NO hard and fast rules on how to make your hair grow faster.
You need to feel (touch) and monitor. If a little more oil is needed, you can add it in – just enough for your hair to be nicely moist, NOT dripping with oil!
As for the hot towel, in case I am short of time and can’t prepare my warm towel, just a towel will do. Or for my hair wrap, I may just do 30 minutes, instead of one hour.
Sometimes, I will massage my scalp for 10 minutes then do my warm hair wrap.
When I have time and want to totally relax, I will massage my scalp, and use a warm towel to wrap my hair up and let it sit for one hour. I would be half lying down on a recliner, reading a book or just closing my eyes, resting.
Apart from this, I do my regular scalp massages (weekdays, morning and night), sometimes without oil. No hair wraps, as I have less time. For me though, regular routines matter much more.
Safe and Healthy Ingredient
Virgin coconut oil is safe and healthy. After consulting my general practitioner, I have also started consuming this oil orally. I consume according to the bottle’s dosage (one tablespoon, once a day, daily).
To get the best results for your ‘how to make hair grow faster’ journey, use quality virgin coconut oil (extracted by cold compression from fresh coconuts and have not gone through any heat process). The oil has a pleasant smell and should be as clear as water and tastes ‘very thin’ and healthy.
Although this is my best oil by far, I do use other ingredients to compliment, or for a change sometimes, depending on my moods.
On the contrary, I do know of people who have used virgin coconut oil, yet did not get the hair results they expected. So this is also where other natural ingredients and recipes come in very handy.
During my own journey, I have also learned it never hurts to have an alternative good, handy, cheap and foundational back up of natural recipes or solution for my hair.