Suffering from a cold can be very discomforting. It can cause serious headaches, sinus pains, and difficulty from breathing. It can make you feel drowsy and sleepy all the time. And this discomfort can turn into a nuisance and hindrance in performing your daily activities. This is why you must learn how to get rid of a cold fast.
Usually, a cold cures on its own and without medication in about a week or two. But by learning how to get rid of a cold, you can speed up your recovery and feel better sooner than expected.
There are quite a few remedies that you can take to ease yourself from cold. Medically speaking, the common cold is referred to as viral upper respiratory tract infection. It is a contagious sickness that is triggered by certain types of viruses. Common symptoms are sore throat, cough, nasal congestion, sneezing and runny nose.
Ways on How to Get Rid of a Cold
You can find several over-the-counter medicines to cure your cold. Some of these remedies include petroleum jelly, analgesics as well as cough medicines. On the other hand, make sure you follow the correct instructions in drinking these medications. In fact, it is better to consult a medical expert first before taking any one of these medicines.
Medicines have chemical contents which may bring about serious complications. If taken excessively, you may suffer from serious side effects. Fortunately, there are home remedies that you can try to help you get rid of your cold. These home remedies on how to get rid of a cold are safe and effective for babies and young children as well.
1. Water – when suffering from common cold, it is advised for patients to be hydrated at all cost. You should increase your intake of water to help loosen out the mucus in your nose and throat.
2. Salt water – Gargling with warm salt water can help ease the throats of patients suffering from colds. One of the side effects of having a cold is sore throat. Saline solution can calm down your throat.
3. Soup – Inhaling the steam of a warm soup may help in clearing your nose. Also the warm liquid that is soup can loosen the mucus in your chest.
4. Vaporizer – If you don’t have a vaporizer, you may inhale steam over a steaming hot bowl of water to loosen the mucus in your nose.
5. Spicy food – Eating spicy foods can also help you on how to get rid of a cold. Spicy foods can loosen up the mucus in the throat and in the nose making it easier to cough out or blow. It can also temporarily clear your headache.