Canker sores can be very painful and persistent. They may appear on your tongue, inside your cheeks or lips, or at the base of your gums. Scientifically, these are called Aphthous Ulcers. But they are popularly known as canker sores. If you don’t find a way on how to get rid of a canker sore, you would end up suffering from the discomfort in your mouth.
On the other hand, canker sores are very different from cold sores. Cold sores are caused by a form of herpes virus, which is extremely infectious. Fortunately, canker sores are not important related and definitely not contagious at all. These sores are more common among females. According to statistics, about 10% of the population has a recurring canker sore problem.
How to Get Rid of Canker a Canker Sore and Causes
Actually, experts have yet to discover the exact canker sores causes. It is likely caused by a reaction of a person’s own immune system. The immune system identifies an invading agent inside the mucous membrane of the mouth that isn’t really there. In the case of the canker sore, the white blood cells attack healthy tissue.
Here are quite a few possible causes of a canker sore:
Toothpaste. Toothpastes may have sodium lauryl sulfate that have a drying effect on the mouth tissues. Thus, it breaks down the surface protection, and cause canker sores.
Nutritional deficiency. Vitamin deficiencies (B1, B2, B6, B12, C) and other nutrients (zinc, folic acid, iron, selenium, calcium) have all been related to the sores.
Hormonal changes and Genetic Dispositions.
Ways on How to Get Rid of a Canker Sore
Generally, canker sores go away on its own within 7 to 10 days. However, there are treatments to provide relief the pain through careful diet or by using over the counter medicines.
Here are other treatments on how to get rid of canker sores:
• Taking 2-4 Acidophilus capsules four times a day with milk has proven to both decrease the pain, and speed up the recovery.
• Aloe juice can be used as a mouth rinse on how to get rid of a canker sore several times daily. • Alum from the spice section of your grocery store can provide cure and promote healing. Do this once or twice a day and rinse your mouth out well afterwards.
• Antacid formulas such as Mylanta and Milk of Magnesia have been reported to be an effective method on remedies on canker sores.
• Baking soda is a great technique on how to get rid of canker sores. It can be used in powder form or made into a paste and applied directly to the sore.
• Copper sulfate is an effective treatment for canker sores. It is hard to find, but should clear the sore in a day or two. Consult your medical doctor before trying this.
• Brush your teeth and rinse your mouth with antibacterial mouthwash often.
• Stay away from salty and acidic foods.
• Use any over-the-counter medicine.
• Drink sage tea taking time to swish it around in your mouth with every sip.
There are other methods on how to get rid of a canker sore but you have to chat with a doctor first before trying anything.