Not being able to fall sleep is a common problem for many people. Here are some simple tips that can help you fall sleep as quickly as possible.
– Try using a pre-bedtime routine that will make you sleepy. For instance, 90 minutes before getting into bed have a bath, have a light snack or drink a glass of warm milk with a teaspoon of honey, read something boring … All this will 'train' your mind, letting your body recognize that it is time to relax and sleep. Try this regimen for a couple of weeks.
– Lay flat on your back and tense and release the muscles in your toes for a few seconds. Start with your toes, then feet, and all the way up to your head. Your muscles should be relaxed by then. Make sure you are breathing deeply.
– Do not move too much in your bed. If you have to move – move slowly. Tossing and turning should be done without sudden movements – act like you are sleepy and soon you will get sleepy.
– Do not "try" to sleep – tell yourself you will just rest for a while. When you stop trying, it will be easier to fall sleep.
– Do not look at the clock.
– Think of yourself doing something you enjoy or something relaxing. Imagine that you are floating on a river. Feel the water below you.
– Turn on the TV, some boring home shopping channel, at a low volume. So low that you have to lie perfectly still to hear it. Then close your eyes and focus on whatever they are saying. This combination of focusing and listening while still still, and the distraction from any other thoughts will put you to sleep within ten minutes.