Obesity referers to a medical condition where the body has an excess body fat. In this state there is an abnormal accumulation of fat in the adipose tissues which store fat. Under normal circumstances, an increase of 20% or more above the desired body weight indicates obesity and is considered a health risk.
What causes Obesity?
A number of factors are known to accelerate obesity and these may include:
- Oveating- The majority of the people who are obese eat too much. They eat more food than the body can utilize. As a result, the excess calories are converted into fats and are stored in the adipose tissues.
- Inactivity- A life ofactivity is a danger to the health of any person. Most people who do very little or no exercise at all are likely to suffer from obesity. As one eats, it is expected that the body utilizes all the ingested calories. When we are involved in physical activities, these calories are burnt up to provide the necessary energy required. When one is inactive, the calories are not burned and therefore stored in the adipose tissues. This kind of lifestyle will lead to an accumulation of body fat over a long period of time and eventually, the body becomes overweight and worse more, obese.
- Heredity- A family history of obesity is another predisposing factor for one to become obese. Although we have limited control of our genes, a good understanding of our physiological processes and the nutritional requirements of our bodies may help fight its occurrence.
What are the dangers of Obesity?
Obesity if not checked my lead to an immune physiological burden to the body. In most cases, there is a direct relationship between cardiovascular disease (heart) diseases and obesity.
The secret of keeping fit
- Use Whole grains as you main carbohydrates source; they are of a higher nutritive values compared to refined products. They have a high fiber content which helps in accelerating metabolic rate.
- Have a regular exercise time. The more you exercise the more muscles you build. As a result, you will end up burning more fat leading to weight loss. A daily exercise program of one hour is great value to anyone who is keen to lose weight.
- Make fruits part of your diet. Fruits such as berries, apples, pears and grape fruits are very good at increasing metabolic rates. The free use of these fruits supplies the body with essential minerals and vitamins which promote metabolic activities.
- Eat lots of Raw Vegetable; they are an excellent source of antioxidants, enzymes and vitamins. In addition to this, they have a high fiber content which promotes metabolic activity.
- Avoid refined / processed foods. These do not have fiber which is of great importance to the body. The glycemic index for refined foods is reliably higher than whole meals.
- Avoid heavy evening meals / supper. After eating take at least two hours before you sleep. This will ensure that most food is digested and at the time of sleep, the stomach is empty. Heavy meals immediately before sleeping lead to over-absorption of nutrients and since the body is inactive, more calories are converted to fat.
- Have a regular eating time with an interval of between 5 to 6 hours. These intervals help the body to rejuvenate and be ready for another work of digestion. Avoid eating between meals or snacking.
- Measure your BMI (Body Mass Index) regularly. This is helpful since one can easily monitor his / her progress. It is an important thing to have your weight within the recommended ranges. A BMI that is above 25 but below 30 indicates that one is overweight. A BMI scale of 30 and above is an indicator of obesity and should be taken as a serious health concern.
It is a fact that Obesity is now a global health concern and new ideas are coming up each new day. For one to have the best approach, it is important to scrutinize them and study deeply so that the best practices are adopted.