Skinis the biggest organ of the body and is exposed to the pollutants in air and water, as well as prone to damage by sun rays. Being one visible part of our body, any problem as on skin has a major affect on the human mind. It draws attention and comments trace other about our skin problem, and this brings down the morale of the patients.
It’s time to educate and spread awareness amongst the people about this skin problem.
Psoriasis is a common and chronic skin problem. Psoriasis is seen worldwide affecting 2% of the population. It can manifest at any age, affecting men and women though more common in men and also seen in children, with a genetic predisposition.
Is Psoriasis contagious?
No. Psoriasis is not infectious and cannot be caught from another person and neither can you pass it on to somebody else.
Is there a cure for psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a chronic or we may say lifelong diseases, it comes and goes by itself. There may be disease free periods for years and then it may just flare up one day. Yes, it can be controlled with medication. Just like any other disease you can take treatment for this problem too.
What are the treatment options?
Aim of all treatments is to improve quality of life. There are different modes of treatment depending on type and severity of psoriasis. In 70% of patients the disease can be managed with local application alone.
With the advance of science we now have various treatments available which were not there earlier. And, we have many patients who are under treatment and under control.
How can you help your own self?
- Keep immune system healthy by eating well and resting. Do take vitamin supplements as advised by the doctor especially vitamin A, evening primrose oil and essential fatty acids but under doctors guidance.
- Avoid extreme weather conditions; protect your skin from cold and heat.
- Avoid skin injury or trauma and scratching as they aggravate psoriasis.
- Keep skin well moisturized as the skin is dry, use oils and pure coconut or olive oil on the wet body after bath; do not use hot water for bath rather Luke warm water you may need additional emollients.
- Do not rub the skin.
- Keep track of medicine (prescribed for common ailments like fever, cough and cold, antibiotics, pain killers, choloroquin and antihypertensive) that may aggravate your psoriasis.
- Learn some relaxation Techniques for coping with stress.
In the end, we always say follow healthy lifestyle with positive attitude. Yoga & Medication help you distress and bring positive change in the body.