If you are not keen on conventional treatments for whatever reason you might consider home remedies or as this article describes, some home treatments for oral thrush.
A person infected by oral thrush, may have to undergo home treatment of oral thrush for a week to couple of months depending on the severity of the infection. The treatment of oral thrush can also vary depending on the severity. Minor cases of oral stress have been cured with the help of home remedies, while aggressive cases have to be treated with antifungal drugs.
To relax the pain, inconvenience and discomfort caused, you can try any of the below mentioned home treatment for oral thrush:
1. Rinsing with saltwater – Mix half a teaspoon of salt into a cup of warm water and once the salt has dissolved completely, rinse your mouth with the water and spit it out.
2. Practicing good oral habits – The suffering caused by oral thrush can be reduced to an amount, if brushing is done twice a day and flossing once a day. The toothbrush needs to be changed frequently till the infection vanishes. Avoid using mouthwash solutions for a while, as the normal mouth flora that is destroyed due to the mouthwash actually help in curing oral thrush.
3. Yoghurt – Mix live-acting cultures with yogurt and add it to your diet to increase the healthy bacterium level in your mouth. After the intake of yoghurt, avoid eating or drinking for a while.
4. Onion and Garlic: Onion and garlic contain anti fungal capabilities to kill the candida. Utilize this capability by increasing the intake of garlic to eliminate the yeast infection. White patches in the mouth can be healed with the help of onions.
5. Cleaning thoroughly – In case of denture usage, it is necessary to cleanse the mouth and dentures every night. The dentures should be soaked overnight in a cleaner. Wash them properly the next day before placing it in the mouth.
6. Home Anti – Fungal Mouthwashes – Create a mixture of cider vinegar, warm water and a pinch of salt to make a home based mouthwash to fight fungus. Make sure while washing, the solution reaches every corner. It can also be used as a gargle for the throat. Homemade mouthwashes have proven to be a good home treatment of oral thrush.
7. Gentian Violet – It is a dye that is easily found in health food stores, pharmacies and places where therapies are sold. A cotton swab dipped in the dye is applied to the patches in the mouth.
8. Tea tree Oil – Add a few drops of tea tree oil to a cup of cold or warm water. Gargle the water for a minute. While the water should touch every part of the mouth, make sure not to swallow it. This should be done twice a day – once in the morning and once before going to bed.
9. Diet – Proper intake of water helps in flushing out the toxins, even those produced by the Candida fungus. Skipping of meals can mess the functioning of the body that depends on a routine time. Candida overgrowth is also caused due to irregular eating habits.