Nearly everyone had been in a situation needing a home remedies for toothache. That’s why I made this pretty collection of well proved home remedies for toothache. I summarized all the well and lesser known old and new natural remedies for tooth pain.
Cause of Toothache
- Dental caries (tooth decay): a small cavity in the protective enamel of the tooth can lead rapidly to tooth decay. If left untreated, the tooth beneath the enamel will begin to rot, it attacks the deeper structures of the tooth, causing toothache. When the process progresses the inner core (pulp) becomes affected and infected the tooth may die. In case of dental caries home remedies represent only first aid help, please organize a dental treatment!
- Abscess: an accumulation of pus in or around the root of a tooth is known as a dental abscess, which can be agonizingly painful and may cause swelling (a gum boil). Home remedies can help to burst the gum boil, disinfect and clean the surrounding area. Even then, a visit at the dentist is necessary to clarify the underlying cause of the abscess.
- Gingivitis (sore gums):inflammation of the gums, when the gums become purple-red, soft, shiny and sensitive and bleed easily especially when you clean your teeth. If gingivitis is left untreated, then pockets of infected pus can develop at the base of teeth, followed eventually by gum boils and loose teeth. Home remedies for toothache may give a tremendous help, keeping gums healthy or healing gingivitis.
- Teething: is the process when milk teeth erupt from the gums in young children. It can be very painful, gums are swollen and red. A similar situation occurs in young adults, when wisdom teeth erupt. Wisdom teeth may cause a lots of pain as well.
- Radiation: pain radiates from a nearby structure resulting the feeling of toothache. The most important causes:
- sinus problems,
- trigeminal neuralgia etc.
Best is to clarify the situation with a specialist and tailor the treatment according to the underlying cause.
So, lets see now our valuable home remedies for tooth pain:
The best old home remedy is CLOVE (Syzygium aromaticum)
- The most simple possibility is to hold a whole clove or a few cloves in the mouth near the painful tooth and chew or suck it.
- Another kitchen option is using clove powder around the tooth or fill the tooth with the powder. You can empty a teabag and put the clove powder in the empty teabag and place this clove bag in the mouth.
- My last suggestion is aromatherapy for toothache: using clove oil (essential oil of cloves). Rub the oil on to the aching tooth and around the gum this will anesthetize the whole area. Don’t over-use it or you may burn the gum. You can also dip a piece of cotton wool into some clove oil, roll into a ball and stick it into the painful part of the tooth. Clove has antiseptic and painkilling properties, which work immediately after administration. Within 5 minutes you should be pain free.
If you don’t have garlic at home, you can use a piece of raw ONION (Allium cepa) and keep inside the mouth, it relieves the pain and is antiseptic. If you can’t stand the smell of onion or garlic, than you may try GOLDEN SEAL, the yellow root (Hydrastis canadensis) and old folk medicine in the US. You can use a piece of the yellow root itself or Golden seal tincture – put it on the affected area (it especially helps with abscess). Leave it in your mouth as long as you can stand it. More home remedies for toothache…
Dentists often suggest an ICE PACK in case of oral inflammation. It helps with the swelling and keeps the infection from spreading. Put it 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off. It is better using ice cubes, than deep frozen stuff. You may combine it with any other methods, mentioned earlier.
There are dozens of homeopathic remedies working well in toothache. Without knowing the cause of the pain, I suggest following remedy combination:
- COFFEA C12 and
- PYROGEN C12
Taking alternately every 30-40 minutes for a couple of hours (2-3 pills dissolving under the tongue). You may use it together with other home remedies.
Please, visit your dentist regularly!