Yeast infection which affects the mouth is known as thrush. It is caused by a fungus known as candida. It can affect anybody but is more common among toddlers, babies and older people. Thrush can be caused by certain factors such as pregnancy, steroids, autoimmune diseases, cancers, strong medications, uncontrolled diabetes and bacteria present in the mouth. Symptoms of thrush may include white patches in mouth, tongue and inner walls of the cheeks.
Thrush home remedies
There are several home remedies for thrush which are simple to follow and easy to use. Some of the popular home remedies for thrush are:
1. One of the most effective home remedies for thrush is the use of yoghurt. All you need to do is apply some yoghurt on the yeast patches in baby’s mouth by the means of cotton swab. Or you can take some yoghurt on your finger and let the baby suck it.
2. Baking soda is also one of the efficient home remedies for thrush. Take eight ounces of water and add one teaspoon of baking soda in it. Now take a cotton swab and soak it in this solution. You can wipe the gums, tongue and cheeks of the baby with this cotton swab.
3. Take some plantain seeds and soak them in water. It may take several hours for these seeds to swell. Once they have swollen, make them into a gel like substance and then apply directly on the patches of thrush. This can be really very effective in treating thrush.
4. Take some acidophilus tablets and crush them to form a powder. Now rub this powder directly on the affected region. This will sure help in treating thrust.
5. Pure coconut oil is known to boost the immunity system. It is known to contain caprylic acid which is a very potent antifungal. Just take some pure coconut virgin oil and apply to your nipples or baby’s mouth.
6. Tea tree oil is an effective natural home remedy for thrust. You can apply drops of tea tree oil mixed with olive oil or coconut oil on the nipples after each feed. Now wash the nipples in warm water and make it dry and then apply tea tree oil before you feed your baby.
7. Oregano oil is helpful in treating thrush in adults. You can apply this oil on the affected area in order to benefit from it.
8. Clove oil is known to have antifungal properties. Take some clove oil and dilute it with coconut oil. Apply it on the nipples and later wash it properly to remove oil residue.
9. Yeast is known to thrive in moist and dark environment. If you are suffering from nipple thrush then expose your breasts to the sunlight for few minutes on daily basis. This will help in curing the ailment.
10. Take a cup of warm water and then add half teaspoon of common salt in it. Once the salt dissolves you can use it as a mouth wash.
11. Use cotton undergarments and wash them with hot water only.
These were some of the effective home remedies for thrush which are simple, safe and easy to use.