Most coughs are very uncomplicated. A simple cough may be caused by a tickle in the throat, or by coming in contact with someone that has a cold. There are, of course, more serious coughs such as those due to smoking or allergies. Regardless of the cause, there are things that you can do to help alleviate a cough. Listed below are some home remedies that you may find useful:
- If you have a cough due to a common cold, cough drops are a good remedy for thinning phlegm as well as soothing the scratchy membranes in the throat. The best ones are those that contain eucalyptus, which reduce nasal swelling and decongest your nose.
- For the relief of a dry cough, try soaking seven almond kernels in water overnight. The following morning remove the skin from them and grind them well to form a paste. Mix the paste with twenty grams of butter and sugar. Administer orally, once in the morning and once in the evening.
- Drink plenty of water and clear fluids. This will help keep the body hydrated, which will in turn help alleviate chest congestion that can cause an annoying cough.
- One of the best home remedies for treating a cough is eating grapes. Grapes act as an expectorant that will help relieve a simple cough or cold in just few days.
- Raisins are also a fantastic cough remedy. Prepare a sauce by grinding 100 grams of raisins with water. Add approximately 100 grams of sugar and heat the mixture. When the mixture reaches a consistency of sauce, it should then be preserved. Twenty grams should be taken before going to bed on a daily basis.
- Drinking a cup of grape juice mixed with a teaspoon of honey can help calm a cough.
- Mix one teaspoon of onion juice with one teaspoon of honey. Set aside for four to five hours before using. This is an excellent home made cough syrup. Take twice daily or until the cough subsides.
- For a dry cough, roast and then powder the root of a turmeric plant. The powder should then be taken in doses of three grams twice daily, once in the morning and once in the evening.
- Drink hot tea with lemon and raspberry jam to sooth a cough caused by a dry, itchy throat. Drinking red raspberry, honey suckle, or licorice tea with honey is also effective.
- When suffering from a hard dry cough where it is difficult to cough up anything, aniseed is the ideal home remedy because it breaks up mucus. Prepare a tea using aniseed and drink it several times daily or until you have a productive cough.
- Eat an all fruit diet for two to three days. All drinks should include pure fruit juice, unsweetened lemon water, or cold or warm water.
- You can help to relieve a cough by using vodka or brandy as a chest rub before going to bed.
- Prepare a mixture of 8 to 10 tablespoons of coconut milk with 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds and 1 tablespoon of pure honey. This can be taken each night before going to bed.
Do not suffer needlessly with that annoying cough. There are things that you can do from the comfort of your own home to help alleviate it . They are inexpensive and easy to make and use. If one does not work for you, try a different one. You are bound to find a home remedy that works for you.