A hiatal hernia happens when part of the stomach pushes upward into the chest through the diaphragmatic esophageal hiatus. A hiatal hernia can occur in men and women at any age and is often found in otherwise adults up to the age of 50.
A hiatal hernia has the most common symptom of heartburn or acid reflux disease such as burning pain or pressure in the ches, trouble swallowing, and abdominal fullness or indigestion. Hernia can be serious problem if it’s not treated promptly. A few factors that may contribute to hernia include obesity, smoking, pregnancy, physical stress and the lack of rest. Hiatal hernias can be treated by using home remedies. Here are some simple home remedies for hiatal hernias:
1. Lifestyle changes
– Do not smoke and stay away from foods that build acids such as fatty foods, citrus fruits, chocolate, mint flavorings, caffeine, carbonated beverages, alcohol spicy and hot foods.
– Eating frequent and small meals instead of three large meals. It can help relieve the symptoms of heartburn and GERD
– Being overweight is one factor that may contribute to acid reflux. If you are overweight or obese, you may want to lose some weight.
– Your diet shall contain fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grain cereals, nuts, seeds, and sprouts.
2 Avoid wearing any restrictive clothing that will puts a lot of pressure on your abdominal area. It is recommended to wear loose-fitting clothes.
3. Sleep with your head elevated at least 30 degrees. This will not allow the stomach acid to flow up into the esophagus. Do not use pillows because they tend to increase the stomach pressure. You can raise the heads of their beds with bricks or blocks.
4. Mix one dessertspoon of slippery elm bark powder with a small amount of chamomile tea. This will coat an inflamed stomach.
5. An apple daily may keep you away from acidic reflux. Eat one red apple daily in the morning after breakfast.
6. Drink carrot juice diluted with water at least half an hour before each meal. This is effective for treatment of gastrointestinal disorders.
7. Drink a glass of aloe vera juice before daily meals. Aloe Vera has proven to be very successful in treating gastrointestinal disorders such as acid reflux disease (GERD) Heartburn, up-set Stomach, Stomach Ulcer, Gastritis, Duodenal Ulcer, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
8. Take one teaspoon honey mixed with one glass of water and drink it completely. Honey provides a smooth protective coating to stomach irritation.